Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Rudi <ru...@oasis.net.au> on 2001/10/29 23:52:57 UTC

New user help

Hi,
    I'd like to join the mod_perl / apache community.
I'm having install problems that I've been trying to solve for 2 days with no luck. So I'd like bother you folks with a beginer question.
I'm using Debian 2.2, Apache 1.3.14 and mod_perl 1.24_1.
I've tried several times and this is a close as I can get.
a) unzip both Apache and mod_perl.
b) mod_perl is first : perl Makefile.Pl EVERYTHNG = 1,make,make install.
c) Now apache :
./configure
--prefix=/usr/local/apache
--enable-module=rewrite --enable-shared=rewrite
--activate-module=src/modules/perl/libperl.a --enable-shared=perl

Everything compiles OK.
However, my httpd.conf file now has LoadModule perl_module libexec/libperl.so
But this is no libperl.so on my hardrive.
I've run updatedb and search but there is no libperl.so.
As a result apache will no start ( error about libperl.so )

At work I use Coldfusion,PHP and some CGI with perl. I'm looking forward to getting into mod_perl heaps as perl is a tool
I can use for both web development and system admin.
Thanks in advance.
Kind regards Rudi.

Re: New user help

Posted by Stephen Reppucci <sg...@logsoft.com>.
Build apache first, then build mod_perl. The mod_perl install
modifies the apache tree (it asks you for a path to the apache tree
to modify, but defaults to ../apache<latest version>)

If you're new to mod_perl, you'll want to head on over to the guide
(http://perl.apache.org/guide) for Stas' great descriptions of the
build procedure and lots of other subjects.

Also, I find it easier to build apache statically when doing a
mod_perl build.  (Others are much bolder than me... ;^)

Good luck,
<Steve Reppucci>

--
Steve Reppucci                                       sgr@logsoft.com |