Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl> on 2013/07/31 17:26:15 UTC

[DISCUSS] Release Apache CouchDB 1.4.0

Dear community,

I would like to propose that we release Apache CouchDB 1.4.0.

The project aims to produce time-based releases. If your favourite
feature is not ready for this version, it can be included in the next
version. However, if you know of anything that should block the
release, please speak up now.

The 1.4.0 changelog as it stands:

Upgrade Notes
-------------

We now support Erlang/OTP R16B and R16B01; the minimum required version is R14B.

User document role values must now be strings. Other types of values will be
refused when saving the user document.

Version 1.4.0
-------------

* :issue:`1684`: Support for server-wide changes feed reporting on creation,
  updates and deletion of databases. :commit:`917d8988`
* :issue:`1139`: it's possible to apply :ref:`list <listfun>`
  functions to ``_all_docs`` view. :commit:`54fd258e`
* Automatic loading of CouchDB plugins. :commit:`3fab6bb5`
* :issue:`1634`: Reduce PBKDF2 work factor. :commit:`f726bc4d`
* Allow storing pre-hashed admin passwords via `_config` API.
  :commit:`c98ba561`
* :issue:`1772`: Prevent invalid JSON output when using `all_or_nothing`
  `_bulk_docs` API. :commit:`dfd39d57`
* Add a configurable whitelist of user document properties. :commit:`8d7ab8b1`
* :issue:`1852`: Support Last-Event-ID header in EventSource changes feeds.
  :commit:`dfd2199a`
* Much improved documentation, including an :ref:`expanded description
  <vdufun>` of `validate_doc_update` functions (commit:`ef9ac469`) and
  a description of how  CouchDB handles JSON :ref:`number values
  <number-handling>` (:commit:`bbd93f77`).
* :issue:`1632`: Ignore epilogues in multipart/related MIME attachments.
  :commit:`2b4ab67a`
* Split up replicator_db tests into multiple independent tests.

Are these accurate? Please double check any work you may have done and
make sure that the corresponding changelog entries are up-to-date.

Thanks,

Dirkjan

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache CouchDB 1.4.0

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.
On 3 August 2013 22:59, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Aug 3, 2013, at 22:54 , Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com> wrote:
>
>> On 31 July 2013 21:12, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Generally +1, but did Dave merge his view engine revert patch into master?
>>>
>>> Best
>>> Jan
>>
>> Nope, ditto for the zero-byte json one-liner which was awaiting some
>> tests etc. Checking on both of these atm.
>
> Dirkjan merged these earlier today.

Thanks djc!

master looks like it builds fine on windows again, thanks everybody.

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache CouchDB 1.4.0

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache CouchDB 1.4.0

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.
On 31 July 2013 21:12, Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
> Generally +1, but did Dave merge his view engine revert patch into master?
>
> Best
> Jan

Nope, ditto for the zero-byte json one-liner which was awaiting some
tests etc. Checking on both of these atm.

A+
Dave

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache CouchDB 1.4.0

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.
On 3 August 2013 16:48, Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl> wrote:

> I should note that I'm due to leave on Thursday for 10 days with no
> (or very limited) connectivity. So I'm afraid someone (Noah, Robert?)
> might have to take over at some point. Still, I'll do my best to drive
> the process forward for the remaining days, so I leave as little work
> as possible to any successor.

Eep! I don't have the bandwidth this month.

I think we can wait for you to come back from vacation. It's totally great
that you're going through this stuff. Very valuable! And no problem at all
that it's taking a while long than expected.

If Bob wants to run with this, fine. But I don't think there's any urgency.
(In fact part of my change to the release procedure was to allow us to be a
little more flexible about circumstances like this.)

--
Noah Slater
https://twitter.com/nslater

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache CouchDB 1.4.0

Posted by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org>.
On Aug 3, 2013, at 19:19 , Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 5:48 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl> wrote:
>> I'm distchecking my way through
>> 1334-revert-feature-view-server-pipelining and
>> https://github.com/adamlofts/couchdb/tree/1493-fix-zerobyte-json-parsing.
>
> This part is done, I merged both to master. Tests are clean for me.
> I'll check Jenkins tomorrow.

belated +1 on this, I did a review & test as well.

> Let me know what you all think about my take on #1838.

I updated the ticket with my opinion.

Thanks for moving this forward!
Jan

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache CouchDB 1.4.0

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.
On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 5:48 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl> wrote:
> I'm distchecking my way through
> 1334-revert-feature-view-server-pipelining and
> https://github.com/adamlofts/couchdb/tree/1493-fix-zerobyte-json-parsing.

This part is done, I merged both to master. Tests are clean for me.
I'll check Jenkins tomorrow.

Let me know what you all think about my take on #1838.

Cheers,

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.
On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 6:14 PM, Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org> wrote:
> Note: there's a blocking bug against the new "configurable whitelist
> of user document properties" which needs to be either resolved, marked
> "won't fix", or the current work on master needs reverting.

I'm distchecking my way through
1334-revert-feature-view-server-pipelining and
https://github.com/adamlofts/couchdb/tree/1493-fix-zerobyte-json-parsing.

For #1838, am I correctly understanding the problem if I say that
nothing is changed as long as the newly configurable whitelist is
enabled by hand? I.e. _user documents only become readable once
someone has touched the whitelist?

If so, my instinct is to solve this by documenting the problem (both
in the changelog and in relevant other sections of the docs) and
leaving the rest for a future release. That seems reasonable because
the onus would be on the person enabling the whitelist to read some
documentation before doing so (and they'd have to actually found the
feature first). This way of doing it also helps because I can solve it
myself and won't be blocked by others who need to fix the security
problem. However, if someone is ready to jump in and fix the problem
(assuming we have a fix strategy in place that would satisfy
everyone!), that might be better.

How does that sound to others?

I should note that I'm due to leave on Thursday for 10 days with no
(or very limited) connectivity. So I'm afraid someone (Noah, Robert?)
might have to take over at some point. Still, I'll do my best to drive
the process forward for the remaining days, so I leave as little work
as possible to any successor.

Sorry again for being so slow with this. Figuring out my way to the
release process, in particular changing it to deal with changelog.rst
rather than NEWS and CHANGES, has been rather more time-intensive than
I thought, and I've had a few hectic weeks due to other stuff.

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.