Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/18 23:48:47 UTC

Where does all the permgen space go?

Does anyone know why we need the jumbo perm-gen space to run a build?

Re: Where does all the permgen space go?

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Sun October 18 2009 5:48:47 pm Benson Margulies wrote:
> Does anyone know why we need the jumbo perm-gen space to run a build?

I wish I knew.  :-(

I think it's due to the way maven holds onto the plugin classloader so nothing
the classloader holds onto gets collected.   Over time, they get moved to
permgen or something.     Since our codegem plugin pulls in a bunch of jars
and such, it takes up some memory.

One thing we COULD do potentially is add a "fork" mode to the plugin like
javac and surefire and such so that very little is loaded into the plugins
classloader.

We also don't use the fork mode on the compiler plugin.   I think there were
issues with it and Windows.   That MIGHT be fixed now with the newer versions
of the compiler plugin.  I don't know.   If someone on windows could try a
clean build with the top level pom changed to have
<compiler.fork>true</compiler.fork>, that would be a help.

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org