Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Aakash Bordia <bo...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/12 19:54:03 UTC

how to trace the optimizer and derby in general?

Hi, I am trying to generate an optimizer trace, with the following
properties:
derby.language.OptimizerTrace=true (not sure if its case sensitive)
derby.language.optimizerTrace=true
derby.language.optimizerTraceHtml=true

I see optimizerTrace and optimizerTraceHtml as members of the OptimizerImpl
class. But this does not seem to generate a stack trace for the optimizer.
The only thing I was able to get to work was:
derby.debug.true=DumpOptimizedTree //this only dumps the tree, but not the
tracing

How could I get the optimizer to trace itself in derby.log or some file?
(also derby in general).

Not sure if this is a question for derby-dev actually?

Thanks
Aakash

Re: how to trace the optimizer and derby in general?

Posted by Army <qo...@gmail.com>.
Aakash Bordia wrote:

> Hi, I am trying to generate an optimizer trace, with the following
> properties:
>
> derby.language.OptimizerTrace=true (not sure if its case sensitive)
> derby.language.optimizerTrace=true
> derby.language.optimizerTraceHtml=true
>
> I see optimizerTrace and optimizerTraceHtml as members of the OptimizerImpl
> class. But this does not seem to generate a stack trace for the optimizer.
>
> How could I get the optimizer to trace itself in derby.log or some file?
> (also derby in general).

At first glance this sounds like DERBY-837.  There is code in Derby for tracing,
but it is not currently enabled.  More information can be found within that Jira
(and more specifically, within the email linked from that Jira).

Army