Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com> on 2006/06/27 02:26:50 UTC

Extend class path from config.xml

I think we should add support to extend the class path from the
config.xml file.  Without this it is not possible to add GBeans via a
the configuration.xml using classes not declared in the original
plan.  Another problem revolves around extension hooks in services.
It is common for a service to allow you to specify a alternative
implementation for some internal service.  For example, our
SecurityService GBean allows for the replacement of the
policyConfigurationFactory
  and the policyProvider.  Unfortunately, these hooks are virtually
useless since the replacement classes must have been included in the
environment of the original plan.  Of course, the best option would
be to rewrite this service to use references, which are easily
replaceable and externalizable in another plan, but that is not
always possible.

I have no plans to implement this myself, but wanted to get a
discussion going, and if we decide that is want to add this feature,
I'll create a JIRA to track it.

-dain

Re: Extend class path from config.xml

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
Seems like a reasonable thing to have.

Is this an extension to the plan's xsd or just a specialized gbean
that can augment the classpath?

--jason