Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Pete <pe...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/26 18:27:58 UTC

Selenium use Java JUnits or HTML suites ? and Unix platform

Just wondered if anyone out there can tell me any of the
advantages/disadvantages of using Selenium with JUnits or is it better
to use selenese with the HTML suite tests ?

I thinking in terms of what is easiest to maintain ?
Test on multiple browsers ?

Also a related question, at the moment our Continuum build server runs
on Unix, so how will we run a browser ? do we put part of Selenium
(Selenium RC??) on a separate windows box ?

Re: Selenium use Java JUnits or HTML suites ? and Unix platform

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.
I think it's better to use it with JUnit.

With JUnit tests, you can reuse your code in all your tests and if your web interface change, you'll need to modify the test at one place. With HTML tests, you'll need to recreate all of them, but of
corse it depends on what you test on your pages.

About Continuum and Unix box, you can install xvfb. From selenium wiki: "Use Xvfb (X Windows Virtual Frame Buffer): If you want to run Selenium on a Unix server- without an X Windows display- or if
you just don't want to see the web browser windows popping up, use xvfb. This is an X server that just runs in memory, without a display."
(http://wiki.openqa.org/display/SRC/Selenium-RC+and+Continuous+Integration)

Emmanuel