Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Jason Pavao <ja...@oracle.com> on 2013/08/06 23:18:05 UTC

segmenting resources on cloud

Folks,
My initial approach to using cloudstack has been in the context of
jenkins automation, but over time several new groups have been joining,
and bringing in new hardware. I am trying to find an easy path to
segmenting resources based on group. I'm not sure how to approach it on
cloudstack. Any advice/recommendations would be immensely appreciated.

--
Thanks.
-Jason

Re: segmenting resources on cloud

Posted by Ove Ewerlid <Ov...@oracle.com>.
On 08/06/2013 11:18 PM, Jason Pavao wrote:
> Folks,
> My initial approach to using cloudstack has been in the context of
> jenkins automation, but over time several new groups have been joining,
> and bringing in new hardware. I am trying to find an easy path to
> segmenting resources based on group. I'm not sure how to approach it on
> cloudstack. Any advice/recommendations would be immensely appreciated.

You probably want to checkout the "dedicated resource" features in
upcoming 4.2.  Search and look in the documents with "dedicated" here;

   https://cwiki.apache.org/CLOUDSTACK/42-design-documents.html

/Ove

--
Ove Everlid
System Administrator / Architect / SDN & Linux hacker

Re: segmenting resources on cloud

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 5:18 PM, Jason Pavao <ja...@oracle.com> wrote:
> Folks,
> My initial approach to using cloudstack has been in the context of jenkins
> automation, but over time several new groups have been joining, and bringing
> in new hardware. I am trying to find an easy path to segmenting resources
> based on group. I'm not sure how to approach it on cloudstack. Any
> advice/recommendations would be immensely appreciated.
>
> --
> Thanks.
> -Jason

In addition to dedicated resources - you probably want to look at
'tags' as well as dedicated zones both of which have existed since
before 4.0

http://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/en-US/Apache_CloudStack/4.1.1/html-single/Admin_Guide/index.html#tagging-resources

--David