Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by email builder <em...@yahoo.com> on 2004/11/27 14:29:21 UTC

make test error installing Net::Ident

All,

  I understand this may be the wrong place to ask a perl question, but I have
a question that Google nor any list I can find will answer...  trying to
install perl module Net::Ident, I get make test errors as follows.  I'd
really appreciate any tips.  I've no idea why this is happening (Fedora Core
1):

# perl -MCPAN -e'CPAN::Shell->install("Net::Ident")'
CPAN: Storable loaded ok
Going to read /root/.cpan/Metadata
  Database was generated on Sat, 27 Nov 2004 04:00:47 GMT
Running install for module Net::Ident
Running make for J/JP/JPC/Net-Ident-1.20.tar.gz
CPAN: Digest::MD5 loaded ok
Checksum for /root/.cpan/sources/authors/id/J/JP/JPC/Net-Ident-1.20.tar.gz ok
Scanning cache /root/.cpan/build for sizes
Net-Ident-1.20/
Net-Ident-1.20/t/
Net-Ident-1.20/t/0use.t
Net-Ident-1.20/t/apache/
Net-Ident-1.20/t/apache/logs/
Net-Ident-1.20/t/apache/logs/.exists
Net-Ident-1.20/t/apache/conf/
Net-Ident-1.20/t/apache/conf/httpd.conf.in
Net-Ident-1.20/t/apache/conf/apache_config.pl.in
Net-Ident-1.20/t/apache/conf/access.conf.in
Net-Ident-1.20/t/apache/conf/srm.conf.in
Net-Ident-1.20/t/apache/conf/mime.types
Net-Ident-1.20/t/apache/html/
Net-Ident-1.20/t/apache/html/testapache.txt
Net-Ident-1.20/t/apache/perl/
Net-Ident-1.20/t/apache/perl/testmodperl
Net-Ident-1.20/t/apache/perl/testident
Net-Ident-1.20/t/apache.t
Net-Ident-1.20/t/compat.t
Net-Ident-1.20/t/hosts
Net-Ident-1.20/t/Ident.t
Net-Ident-1.20/Makefile.PL
Net-Ident-1.20/README
Net-Ident-1.20/INSTALL
Net-Ident-1.20/MANIFEST
Net-Ident-1.20/Changes
Net-Ident-1.20/Ident.pm
Removing previously used /root/.cpan/build/Net-Ident-1.20

  CPAN.pm: Going to build J/JP/JPC/Net-Ident-1.20.tar.gz

Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Do not worry if any of the following items are not found
Checking for previous Net::Ident... Not found.

You could force installing the backwards-compatible Net::Ident, for
example because you want to use scripts that rely on the backwards
compatible calling syntax [not that that's very likely; I'm not aware
of any existing scripts that use it -- JohnPC].

To enable this, re-run this Makefile.PL using:

        perl Makefile.PL --force-compat

Checking for Apache.pm... not found
Writing Makefile for Net::Ident
cp Ident.pm blib/lib/Net/Ident.pm
Manifying blib/man3/Net::Ident.3pm
  /usr/bin/make  -- OK
Running make test
PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/bin/perl "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e"
"test_harness(0, 'blib/lib', 'blib/arch')" t/*.t
t/0use......Net::Ident::_export_hooks() called too early to check prototype
at /root/.cpan/build/Net-Ident-1.20/blib/lib/Net/Ident.pm line 29.
t/0use......ok
t/apache....Net::Ident::_export_hooks() called too early to check prototype
at /root/.cpan/build/Net-Ident-1.20/blib/lib/Net/Ident.pm line 29.
skipped
        all skipped: no reason given
t/compat....Net::Ident::_export_hooks() called too early to check prototype
at /root/.cpan/build/Net-Ident-1.20/blib/lib/Net/Ident.pm line 29.
skipped
        all skipped: no reason given
t/Ident.....Net::Ident::_export_hooks() called too early to check prototype
at /root/.cpan/build/Net-Ident-1.20/blib/lib/Net/Ident.pm line 29.
t/Ident.....FAILED tests 1-3
        Failed 3/7 tests, 57.14% okay
Failed Test Stat Wstat Total Fail  Failed  List of Failed
t/Ident.t                  7    3  42.86%  1-3
2 tests skipped.
Failed 1/4 test scripts, 75.00% okay. 3/8 subtests failed, 62.50% okay.
make: *** [test_dynamic] Error 255
  /usr/bin/make test -- NOT OK
Running make install
  make test had returned bad status, won't install without force

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Re: make test error installing Net::Ident

Posted by email builder <em...@yahoo.com>.
> a question that Google nor any list I can find will answer...  trying to
> install perl module Net::Ident, I get make test errors as follows.  I'd
> really appreciate any tips.  I've no idea why this is happening (Fedora
> Core 1):
>
> # perl -MCPAN -e'CPAN::Shell->install("Net::Ident")'

<snip>

>         all skipped: no reason given
> t/Ident.....Net::Ident::_export_hooks() called too early to check prototype
> at /root/.cpan/build/Net-Ident-1.20/blib/lib/Net/Ident.pm line 29.
> t/Ident.....FAILED tests 1-3
>
>         Failed 3/7 tests, 57.14% okay
> Failed Test Stat Wstat Total Fail  Failed  List of Failed

> t/Ident.t                  7    3  42.86%  1-3
> 2 tests skipped.
> Failed 1/4 test scripts, 75.00% okay. 3/8 subtests failed, 62.50% okay.
> make: *** [test_dynamic] Error 255
>   /usr/bin/make test -- NOT OK
> Running make install
>   make test had returned bad status, won't install without force

This is what advice I found elsewhere:

1) "Looking at the code in the module, it has some issues. The function
_export_hooks() is called as the module is loaded. The call for the function
is, however, well before the declaration for the function.  So, its nothing
your doing wrong, its just the module. To fix it, you could remove the
prototype off of _export_hooks()"

2) Net::Ident appears to be abandoned to some degree.

Version 1.20 was written in 1999, and some CPAN testers have failed to
install this module. The problem, I believe, is caused by not being able to
connect to particular servers the author has specified in the test scripts.
After 5 years, it isn't all that surprising if they no longer exist.
>From the top of "t/Ident.t":

# test the Net::Ident module, which is a bitch, because you really
# need an ident daemon to test it, and then you usually get a connecti
+on
# from a remote machine, and then ask for the username.
# so what we do is try to make a connection to an ident daemon, on
# some machine, and if that succeeds, see if we can do a successful lo
+okup
# on that.
# This isn't guaranteed to succeed. If you are not (properly) connecte
+d
# to the internet, and if your localhost doesn't run an ident daemon,
# then this script won't work. If you do know a machine that you can
# currently reach, which runs an ident daemon, then put it's name or
# IPnumber in the 'hosts' file in the t/ directory.
#

You have two choices:

1. Install manually, jumping through the hoops to get the tests to pass. From
the comment it looks like "t/hosts" is the hoop you need.

2. Force install without tests.

http://my.yahoo.com