Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Viktor Szathmary <ph...@gmail.com> on 2005/06/09 07:14:00 UTC

Tacos roadmap, call for contributions

hi,

below is a roadmap I would like to pursue in the mid-term future for
Tacos components.

These days I don't have as much spare time as I would like for this
project, so progress is expected to be slow, unless there are some
volunteers out there who would like to help out. The project has
already received great & deep contributions from many people (see at
bottom) and I hope it's exciting enough and widely used so we can get
some more people involved :)

* Replace the current homegrown javascript library for Partial Page
Rendering / AJAX with prototype.js (http://prototype.conio.net/).

It's very similar in purpose, but we can leverage the large user group
(ie. Ruby on Rails) maintaining and improving the library. We can also
incorporate further cool libraries building on this (check out
http://openrico.org/). Licenses are compatible for distribution (MIT,
Apache).

* tacos:Tree: find a reasonably elegant way to make the expansion
(+/-) buttons have 3 different behaviors:
 1) the current DirectLink with FixPos javascript
 2) a version that does Form POST
 3) a version that uses PartialLink

* make some components/APIs even more intuitive (for example, should
Part require an ID? should tacos:Tree not use IdentityKeyProvider by
default?)

* put together an FAQ

* make Tapestry commiters finally commit the patches I sent a while
ago and release 3.0.4 :) (I guess everyone is giddy about 4.0, I'm
personally more interested in my existing apps to just keep working
without me lifting a finger :)

* figure out a low maintenance-overhead strategy for a Tapestry 4.0
compatiblity branch

Special thanks to the following contributors so far:

Jeff Gerber (4k node limit bugfix)
Jesse Kuhnert (html response handling fixes, lots of work toward
Tapestry 4.0 compatiblity)
Jamie Orchard-Hays (fixes and work toward Friendly URLs patch compatiblity)
Ashish Raniwala (Tree offset)

I will of course continue to work on the project and help people with
any questions/issues.

Thanks,
  Viktor

ps. I have cross-posted to tapestry-user, to garner potential
interest, but for continued discussions please subscribe to
tacos-devel (https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/tacos-devel)