Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID> on 2019/01/26 13:07:14 UTC

Calling all Gradle users!

Hi all,

If you're using Gradle in any way at all -- and especially if you have some
Gradle projects of whatever kind lying around -- we need you!

Thanks to Laszlo, we have integration with Gradle for the first time in the
upcoming release scheduled to be released in March. We need as many as
possible to try out the Gradle features, i.e., simply open your existing
projects into the latest NetBeans builds and see if there are any problems
so they can be fixed in time.

Interested? Please respond to this e-mail indicating your intention to try
out your existing Gradle projects in the upcoming release of Apache
NetBeans and we'll work on this together from there initially via this mail
thread.

For example, without any problems at all, I was able to open and work with
this random project I found on GitHub:

Re: Calling all Gradle users!

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
The PR with an improvement has been sent to master

https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/pull/1150

Unfortunately it is not a complete fix and generally requires the root
project to be loaded into NetBeans before the sub-projects of that can
be detected, though I do not think that would be a big problem. What I
have in my mind for a complete fix requires more changes, which I do not
have time to make till 11.0

On 1/27/19 2:29 PM, Enrico Olivelli wrote:
> Il giorno dom 27 gen 2019, 23:20 Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>
> ha scritto:
>
>> Dear Enrico,
>>
>> You are facing with: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-2009,
>>
>> I've something on my mind already to fix this.
>>
> I will be happy to try your fix
> Thanks
> Enrico
>
>> On 1/26/19 2:21 PM, Enrico Olivelli wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I am trying latest nightly build on linux + jdk8 (and with jdk8 the
>>> result is the same) on the project linked below, itis quite complex
>>> but I was able to work on it with the 'other' plugin.
>>> https://github.com/pravega/pravega
>>>
>>> The project has a lot of subprojects but I can see only the first one
>>> ("pravega common") displayed in the project tree.
>>> I can't see any particular error in logs apart from this, but it seems
>> unrelated
>>> INFO [org.openide.loaders.FolderInstance.Toolbars]: Cannot create
>>> org.openide.loaders.FolderInstance$HoldInstance@259ead78[Toolbars/Build]
>>> java.io.IOException: Cyclic reference. Somebody is trying to get value

Re: Calling all Gradle users!

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Calling all Gradle users!

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Dear Enrico,

Re: Calling all Gradle users!

Posted by arsi <ar...@chello.sk>.
Hi,

I want to ask you for some basic info about the new Gradle support.
Mainly how to integrate a third party module.

It would be good to migrate NBANDROID-V2 to him..

Currently I do not have time to analyze the sources, I'm working on
Android Visual Layout preview..

Thank you!

ArSi

https://github.com/NBANDROIDTEAM/NBANDROID-V2

Re: Calling all Gradle users!

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Thank you!

Testing...

Re: Calling all Gradle users!

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Calling all Gradle users!

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Calling all Gradle users!

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.

Re: Calling all Gradle users!

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.

Re: Calling all Gradle users!

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Re: Calling all Gradle users!

Posted by Alessandro <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,
  with today's build the exception are fixed and Gradle projects generated
by Spring Initializr can be opened, built and tested.

I found some minor annoyances for which I opened NETBEANS-2035, 2036, 2037
and 2038.

The next step would be to be able to run and debug the project as Martin
pointed out (the buttons and context menu items are currently grayed out).

Keep up the good work Laszlo!

Regards,
Alex

Re: Calling all Gradle users!

Posted by Martin Weißhaupt <mw...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Hi Alex,

Re: Calling all Gradle users!

Posted by Alessandro <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi Martin,

Re: Calling all Gradle users!

Posted by Martin Weißhaupt <mw...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Hi,

Re: Calling all Gradle users!

Posted by Alessandro <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: Calling all Gradle users!

Posted by Alessandro <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
  I stumbled upon the same issue reported by Martin while trying to open a
project generated by the Spring Initializr service (http://start.spring.io).

I have opened NETBEANS-2024 to track the issue with instructions to
reproduce and an exceptions raised.

The resulting project is unloadable and unbuildable thus a showstopper for
Spring Boot + Gradle users.

Regards,
Alex

Il giorno mer 30 gen 2019 alle ore 14:52 Martin Weißhaupt

Re: Calling all Gradle users!

Posted by Martin Weißhaupt <mw...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Hello,

Re: Calling all Gradle users!

Posted by Marc Collin <ma...@gmail.com>.
tried, worked fine for all my spring boot application.
tried with local gradle provided by netbeans and project gradle wrapper.

Re: Calling all Gradle users!

Posted by Marc Collin <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Calling all Gradle users!

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Re: Calling all Gradle users!

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Re: Calling all Gradle users!

Posted by Peter Steele <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: Calling all Gradle users!

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Re: Calling all Gradle users!

Posted by Peter Steele <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: Calling all Gradle users!

Posted by Peter Steele <st...@gmail.com>.
I have noticed one extra issue, if you right click in the projects view and
do a clean and build. The outputs tab in the notiifcation is not loaded up.
If it is already loaded up but the focus in the notification area is on the
Search Results tab, for example, then again the focus is not changed to the
output tab. If the output tab is open and in focus but there is another sub
tab open (like a git commit window) then again the focus doesn't change to
the output window.

On Sun, Jan 27, 2019 at 10:27 AM Peter Steele <st...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just a small bit of further feedback, in the project navigator pane (the
> one with the tree in). If you don't have a main project selected the set
> main project right click item doesn't appear. But if you have one selected
> the set main project does appear. I would say it should always appear.
>
> On Sat, 26 Jan 2019, 20:07 Peter Steele <steelehere@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Some good news on testing further with a brand new project and maybe some
>> suggestions for further enhancements
>>
>> 1) The exception I saw was caused by gradle running a too old version on
>> root project (the default gradle installation on linux was too low for jdk
>> 11 (actually 9 10 and 11). I fixed it by running this "gradle wrapper
>> --gradle-version 5.1".
>> 2) The issue of not loading the sub projects was only because I didn't
>> open the project from the project dialog, it opened because it was the last
>> project I opened. My suggestion here would be to default to open all
>> subprojects in this scenario.
>> 3) The issue of the sub projects changing name was caused because I had a
>> settings.gradle in root project and all the sub projects from the previous
>> gradle pluggin. In the new netbeans it is not done this way. My suggestion
>> here is to better handle the behavior if settings.gradle is present and has
>> rootProject.nane=XXXXX set to a value different to the directory name of
>> the project (the previous plugin allowed you to set th emodule name and
>> project name).
>> 4) The other reason for the compiling not working is because the root
>> project settings.gradle did not have all the includes set for the sub
>> project.
>>
>> For 3 and 4 I think this was caused by a old version of the current
>> gradle plugin as it doesn't happen now. and produces similar file to the
>> new version of netbeans
>>
>> So overall a positive experice (once I fixed issues with my project).
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 3:21 PM Peter Steele <st...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I downloaded the new version and ran it side by side with the current
>>> setup. After installing javafx (which was new), I got an error initially
>>>
>>> java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index 0 out of bounds for length 0
>>> at
>>> java.base/jdk.internal.util.Preconditions.outOfBounds(Preconditions.java:64)
>>> at
>>> java.base/jdk.internal.util.Preconditions.outOfBoundsCheckIndex(Preconditions.java:70)
>>> at
>>> java.base/jdk.internal.util.Preconditions.checkIndex(Preconditions.java:248)
>>> at java.base/java.util.Objects.checkIndex(Objects.java:372)
>>> at java.base/java.util.ArrayList.get(ArrayList.java:458)
>>> at
>>> org.netbeans.modules.gradle.options.GradleDistributionManager.evaluateGradleWrapperDistribution(GradleDistributionManager.java:209)
>>> at
>>> org.netbeans.modules.gradle.GradleProjectCache.loadGradleProject(GradleProjectCache.java:159)
>>> at
>>> org.netbeans.modules.gradle.GradleProjectCache.access$100(GradleProjectCache.java:83)
>>> [catch] at
>>> org.netbeans.modules.gradle.GradleProjectCache$ProjectLoaderTask.call(GradleProjectCache.java:337)
>>> at

Re: Calling all Gradle users!

Posted by Peter Steele <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: Calling all Gradle users!