Posted to user@struts.apache.org by sai srinivas <sa...@patni.com> on 2001/12/03 06:59:14 UTC

Reg. Progressive Disclosure

Hi,

	I need to implement a functionality, I've named it 'Progressive
Disclosure'.

    Progressive Disclosure - Dynamic revealing of the form controls based on
user selection of the viewable controls, as one progresses in filling the
data collection information or the other definition can be, in the process
of updating the information, based upon the user checking certain options on
the page that demand adding certain user controls to the page on the fly, is
termed as progressive disclosure.

 Can anyone guide me How to implement this in Struts Context.

Regards
Sai

Re: Reg. Progressive Disclosure

Posted by Sandeep Takhar <sa...@yahoo.com>.
I am thinking of implementing this with the tiles
add-on (it is part of the nightly builds, but not part
of struts 1.0).

The action's perform() method does all the work using
the tiles api.

When the user does something that warrants changing
the screen -- the user is submitted back to the same
action from whence it came and the perform() method is
called.

The perform() method will update the "vertical box
layout" to include what should be shown based on the
user's selection and than forward to the "tiles
component" that is applicable (one component per
action typically).

A standard component is the "classic layout" which
will contain menu, header, footer and body.  The body
section of this layout will contain a vertical box.
This vertical box will contain each individual jsp
that is necessary for the progressive disclosure.  The
jsp will contain code (probably javascript) that will
submit back to the action when applicable fields
change values.  What is shown is determined in the
action's perform() method where it uses the tiles api
to include the applicable jsp's.

I think one key component of this design decision is
having the perform() method do the calculation as
opposed to having jsp's handle what is shown based on
logic tags.  The reason is to keep the "furthest to
the back" layers thicker and the front layer as thin
as possible.  This way the front layer can be swapped
out at a later time.  The other reason is to keep
logic away from the front layer which undergoes the
most frequent changes.

If you do a search on tiles in the archive, I have
posted some more detail about this structure.  As well
as other people including the person who created
tiles.

To read about tiles:
http://www.lifl.fr/~dumoulin/tiles/

-Sandeep
--- sai srinivas <sa...@patni.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 	I need to implement a functionality, I've named it
> 'Progressive
> Disclosure'.
>
>     Progressive Disclosure - Dynamic revealing of
> the form controls based on
> user selection of the viewable controls, as one
> progresses in filling the
> data collection information or the other definition
> can be, in the process
> of updating the information, based upon the user
> checking certain options on
> the page that demand adding certain user controls to
> the page on the fly, is
> termed as progressive disclosure.
>
>  Can anyone guide me How to implement this in Struts
> Context.
>

> Regards
> Sai
>

> ATTACHMENT part 2 application/ms-tnef