Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Ed Coleman <ed...@apache.org> on 2019/11/01 00:36:54 UTC

[VOTE] Proposal to release version 1.10

As suggested in the LTS discussion ([LAZY][VOTE] A basic, but concrete, LTS
proposal), I'm breaking this out to as a separate thread to keep the topic
distinct.

The proposal - I would like to start the formal release process for a 1.10
version that would change the java language level to java 8.  The release
would be based on the current 1.9 branch and would be released instead of a
1.9.4.  The 1.10 release would not contain additional feature changes that
are not present in the current 1.9 branch. Currently, this would be based
on the commit SHA:

328ffa0849981e0f113dfbf539c832b447e06902 - committed Thu Oct 10.

(I am unaware of any bug-fixes or issues in the pipe line that would /
should be included - but hopefully this makes the intention clear.)

The goal is to provide a candidate for LTS nomination that is based on the
current 1.9.x code, but unifies our currently supported branches to all use
java 8 as the supported language level. While this had been discussed in
the past, enough time has passed that a java 8 requirement now, seems to
me, to be unlikely to impact any customers that would look to upgrade
Accumulo past a 1.9.3 version and have them not running at least java 8.
Having our code base with a modern, unified java language support level
would greatly benefit our development and reduce the burden to support our
multiple branches.

This vote will be held open for at least the standard 72 hours.

Re: [VOTE] Proposal to release version 1.10

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
+1 to creating a 1.10.0 derived from 1.9 that bumps the Java
requirement to 8, and doing so instead of releasing 1.9.4.

I think the java version bump will help with maintaining patches that
can be more easily backported to 1.x. If this vote passes, I will
advocate for 1.10 to be used as the LTS instead of 1.9 in the LTS
discussion.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Nov 4, 2019 at 11:28 AM Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 12:46 PM Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > Correct, it is up to every user of SemVer to define the public API and
> > AFAIK we have chosen not to include things like the Java version
> > needed to run Accumulo in ours[1].
> >
> > That doesn't mean it's not crappy to our downstream users to do things
> > that have a major operational impact upon minor releases. Updating a
>
> Personally I don't think creating a 1.10 line should preclude ever
> releasing another 1.9.  If a really serious bug is found and someone
> wants to fix it in 1.9 and do the work to make a release happen, then
> I would support them.  Practically, though we want to minimize the
> amount of work everyone has to do and this is just more work for
> someone.

I think that's a good point, in general, for the LTS strategy that
we've been discussing in the other thread. It'd still be *possible* to
release patches for non-LTS releases... we just wouldn't *normally* do
it, to minimize the work. But, if it's really serious, and somebody's
willing to do the work, then it could still happen occasionally.

Re: [VOTE] Proposal to release version 1.10

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
I don't understand the question on my -1. My intention doesn't matter.
We have bylaws as a project and the foundation has bylaws where there
are gaps; this combination makes clear what the rules are for any
vote. AFAICT this vote should be a majority vote.

Two things that we could have done better here:

1) VOTEs should be a formality of expressing what we already know the
position of the community to be. That folks are so surprised and
blocked up on me following up is a sign that there should have been an
appropriately labeled DISCUSS thread. Please do that in the future.

2) To make things clearer for folks, expressly state what the voting
rules are when announcing the vote. If you can't work out what they
should be from the bylaws, then ask before calling a vote.

--
busbey

Re: [VOTE] Proposal to release version 1.10

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

--
busbey

Re: [VOTE] Proposal to release version 1.10

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.
On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 4:04 PM Christopher <ct...@apache.org> wrote:

> My understanding is that this proposal doesn't include any other
> changes other than bumping the required java version in the POM, but
> it does lay the groundwork for:
>
> * Can more easily backport patches to 1.x that were originally written
> in the master branch (both for a custom user fork, or for our official
> upstream 1.x releases)

Switching to Java 8 will make backporting easier in some cases.
However for some cases, the significant internal Accumulo changes
between 1.9 and 2.0 make back porting difficult regardless of the Java
version.  Not sure what the proportions are.  When I have merged
forward and back, it seems like these internal Accumuo changes were
the time sinks.  The Java 7 vs Java 8 issues were annoying, but
usually not very time consuming (ugh, I have to change a map.forEach
to a forEach loop).

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Marion <dm...@gmail.com>.
Ed,

Posted by Michael Wall <mj...@apache.org>.
I am +1 on moving 1.10 to Java 8.

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Nov 1, 2019 at 12:46 PM Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com.invalid> wrote:

> Correct, it is up to every user of SemVer to define the public API and
> AFAIK we have chosen not to include things like the Java version
> needed to run Accumulo in ours[1].

I don't interpret our previous decision to not bump Java version in
1.x as a permanent one, but one based on circumstances at the time.
This is not enshrined in our public API definition at the referenced
link, and we've already made other Java version bumps in a major
version (from 1.6 to 1.7 in Accumulo 1.7.0, albeit prior to adopting
semver, and we're doing 2.1 development on Java 11 today), so there is
precedent.

I think the most significant point is that circumstances have changed
since the last time we discussed this. Java 8 has been EOL for awhile
now, and Java upstream has established a very different release
cadence, establishing very different expectations for developers and
end users with respect to upgrades. I think it is reasonable to expect
that the vast majority of users willing to upgrade to 1.10 would
already be using at least Java 8, or be willing to do so.

Re: [VOTE] Proposal to release version 1.10

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

--
busbey

Re: [VOTE] Proposal to release version 1.10

Posted by Mike Miller <mm...@apache.org>.
+1
This would line up our LTS versions with Java's LTS labeling:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_version_history

Posted by Adam Lerman <al...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Ed Coleman <de...@etcoleman.com>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Keith Turner <ke...@deenlo.com>.
+0

I think this is slightly confusing from a users perspective.  However,
I think this concern is easily addressed with well written release
notes explaining why 1.10 exists and how it fits into the bigger
picture of 1.9 and 2.0.

I am not opposed to this, but I am not sure how much I can help.  This
seems like it could take a lot of time to do well. I would personally
rather spend that time on 2.1.0 features.

Keith