Posted to users@maven.apache.org by David Bock <db...@fgm.com> on 2004/05/12 20:00:50 UTC

Odd Code Generation Scenario

Maven Mavens,

  (Thanks for the earlier help Jason)

  I have a scenario that is a little over my head, probably involves
converting a python script to jelly, and might be contrary to some maven
build philosophy, (if it is, I want to know how to adjust my thinking).

  I am currently converting part of an internal project to use Maven as
its build system.  This is simply a 'util' package that is useful
outside of this project, and we would like to open source it.  The final
output is a single jar file.

  We have properties files that contain things like country names,
currency names, ISO country codes, some generic terms, etc, that have
been translated into French, Russian, German, Hungarian, Polish,
Japanese, etc... a total of about 12 languages.  All these are part of
the jar file, and the jar also contains some classes that use these
properties in various interesting ways.

  Part of our current build process for this jar file takes the
'default' properties files, runs a python script on them, and generates
a class that extends ListResourceBundle.  This step is useful for
several arcane reasons having to do with i18n/l10n (one of which is
being able to use the property names as static strings for compile-time
checking).

  I want to replicate this step in our new maven build.  So, I have the
following questions:

1) Where exactly, will I 'hook' this generation script into the build?
My nose is pointing me to custom goals with the reactor, but I quickly
reach my clueless level when researching this.

2) This is really a 'templating' problem; the info in the default
property file is predictably transformed via a template... is this a
problem for Jelly?  Should I be looking at Velocity?  Or could I just
keep using the python script I already have?

3) Where is the proper place for these properties files to live in my
project structure?  I currently have them in src/resources/properties...
It doesn't seem appropriate to have them under 'java', as they are not
java classes.

4) How do I modify my build so that the properties files are included in
the generated jar file?

5) and the 'philosophical' problem - my generated .java file has to be
compiled and included in the jar file... does this violate Maven's goal
of 'one artifact per build'?  The final .java file doesn't have to end
up anyplace, but should be included in javadoc output, etc.

I appreciate the help.  Maven is an amazing piece of the puzzle for our
in-house documentation standards.

-db

Cruise Control Plugin

Posted by Karl Baum <ka...@yahoo.com>.
Hi.  I am looking into using the cruise control plugin but I'm having a hard time finding a good example to follow?  Can anyone point me in the direction of some documentation?  Thanks.

Karl