Posted to dev@ariatosca.apache.org by Arthur Berezin <ar...@gigaspaces.com> on 2016/09/22 11:12:23 UTC

ARIA TOSCA Progress Status

Hi Suneel, Mentors, all,

I'd like to share some updates from the ARIA team that took place the past
couple of weeks.

Firstly I'd like to touch on the development team structure to support the
ARIA project. We restructured the original Cloudy R&D team to better fit
developing ARIA as a standalone project in ASF, and then to consume it as
part of our open source orchestration product - Cloudy.

We've created a fully dedicated ARIA R&D team that would be solely focused
on developing ARIA upstream, and a separate R&D team, who would become the
consumer of ARIA's libraries, to build Cloudify, the Gigaspaces
orchestration offering.
ARIA R&D team currently has 6 developers, lead by Ran Ziv.

We are currently working on several items we have to complete for building
Cloudify to use ARIA, meanwhile doing that we are in process of planning
the code migration of ARIA components to ASF Git repo(and amending our
internal CI process). According to plan we should complete Cloudify related
tasks by end of November.

We are introducing these changes in a delicate time from Cloudify
perspective, as we are in the middle of the development cycle of our next
version of Cloudify, when we started working on this we didn't know when
the incubation project would be accepted, and when ASF
resources(Git/Jira/etc) would be created and assigned to the project, so
we've been working on several components that are parts of ARIA in various
different repos, some under Cloudify, others in a separate ARIA repo.

Here are the components we are currently focused on:
1. ARIA TOSCA Parser - *In Progress *
https://github.com/aria-tosca/aria-ng

2. ARIA Workflow Engine - *In Progress *
https://github.com/cloudify-cosmo/aria/tree/workflow_engine/aria

3. Built-In Workflows(Install/Uninstall/Scale/Heal) - *In-Progress*
https://github.com/cloudify-cosmo/aria/tree/workflow_engine/aria/builtin_workflows

3. ARIA Execution Plugin(Fabric/Script/WinRM) -* Started*
https://github.com/cloudify-cosmo/cloudify-execution-plugin/tree/CFY-5783-consolidate-script-and-fabric-plugins

4. ARIA CLI - *Not Started *
https://github.com/cloudify-cosmo/cloudify-cli

5. ARIA IaaS Plugins(OpenStack/AWS/etc') - *Not Started*
OpenStack -https://github.com/cloudify-cosmo/cloudify-openstack-plugin
AWS - https://github.com/cloudify-cosmo/cloudify-aws-plugin

From migration to ASF perspective I think that the next step is to start
populating our plans and project related tasks to ASF ARIA Jira to have our
migration plans visible so we would be able to track progress:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARIA

We've started looking into using ASF's Jira and we have several questions,
I'll let Ran Ziv start a new thread with the specif topics we have in mind.

I hope this covers recent progress that we made.
Arthur

Re: ARIA TOSCA Progress Status

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.
Thanks Arthur for the info.

Looking forward to working with you folks on Aria.

@Ran please shoot any questions u may have.

Also please send me ur apache Ids - I can add you folks as Jira admins.