Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jonas Andersen <ja...@aragost.com> on 2008/03/25 23:39:04 UTC

Hibernate transaction manager lookup

Hi,

Having played around with Geronimo 2.0.2, Spring and Hibernate a bit
for the last couple of days, I have attached a transaction manager
lookup for Geronimo to the Hibernate JIRA HHH-1368 (
http://opensource.atlassian.com/projects/hibernate/browse/HHH-1368 ).

Considering how simple this class is, for how long that JIRA has been
open, and how little information I have been able to find on using
Hibernate with Geronimo, I'm curious as to whether I'm missing
something critical?

Anyone have any comments on using Hibernate with the
"java:comp/UserTransaction" and "java:/TransactionManager"? I should
warn, that I have only been doing a bit of testing, doing simple select
and insert (through a Hibernate Session of course) in an EBJ3 SLSB with
CMT.

Best regards,

Jonas Andersen

Re: Hibernate transaction manager lookup

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Mar 26, 2008, at 1:12 PM, Jonas Andersen wrote:

> Quoting David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>:
>

>> On Mar 25, 2008, at 3:39 PM, Jonas Andersen wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Having played around with Geronimo 2.0.2, Spring and Hibernate a
>>> bit for the last couple of days, I have attached a transaction
>>> manager lookup for Geronimo to the Hibernate JIRA HHH-1368
>>> ( http:// opensource.atlassian.com/projects/hibernate/browse/
>>> HHH-1368 ).
>>>
>>> Considering how simple this class is, for how long that JIRA has
>>> been open, and how little information I have been able to find
>>> on  using Hibernate with Geronimo, I'm curious as to whether I'm
>>> missing something critical?
>>>
>>> Anyone have any comments on using Hibernate with the "java:comp/
>>> UserTransaction" and "java:/TransactionManager"? I should warn,
>>> that I have only been doing a bit of testing, doing simple
>>> select  and insert (through a Hibernate Session of course) in an
>>> EBJ3 SLSB  with CMT.
>>
>> I've been wondering for a while why this should be necessary.... are
>> you using Hibernate as a jpa provider or using the non-standard
>> interfaces?  I would expect no such adapter should be necessary using
>> Hibernate as a jpa provider.  If you are using the non-standard
>> interfaces I'm curious what they provide that isn't available through
>> jpa.
>
> I'm using Hibernate Core (non-standard). Looking into using OpenJPA
> or an alternative such as Hibernate EntityManager, is on my to-do
> list. I just wanted to get the familiar Spring+Hibernate (Core)
> running first.
> As such, I can't say to what extend (if any) I need to use
> Hibernate Core instead of JPA.
>
> Is there any reason why Hibernate Core shouldn't be supported on
> Geronimo (implied it uses Geronimo managed DataSource and JTA/CMT
> transactions)? Seems to me that the Spring+Hibernate combination is
> pretty common.

I have no problem with supporting Hibernate Core on geronimo, I was
curious about whether there was something in the hibernate JPA
support that required a transaction manager jndi lookup as I think
this is not expected by the jpa spec.  IIUC you have not tested that
yet :-)

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Jonas Andersen <ja...@aragost.com>.