Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by ant elder <an...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/25 11:24:20 UTC

[VOTE] Release Tuscany Java SCA 0.99-incubating RC2

Please review and vote on the 0.99 release artifacts of Tuscany SCA for
Java.

The artifacts are available for review at:
http://people.apache.org/~antelder/tuscany/0.99-RC2/

This includes the signed binary and source distributions, the RAT reports,
and
the Maven staging repository.

The SVN tag for the release is:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/tags/java/sca/0.99-incubating/

Many thanks,

   ...ant

(note, the artifacts are still uploading so if it looks like something's
missing please just wait a bit)

Re: [VOTE] Release Tuscany Java SCA 0.99-incubating RC2

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.
I ran (or attempted to run) all the samples and demos using ant.  I opened
JIRAs for all the issues I found that were not already documented in JIRAs.
I didn't find anything serious enough to delay the release, so here's my
+1 (non-binding).

   Simon

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.
The last time this was discussed, it seemed there was agreement that
it makes sense for the source and binary distros to match (see [1]).
If people want to look at the source to work on unreleased "in progress"
modules, we have a trunk for that :-)  Having extra modules in the source
distro and not built isn't a major issue and it won't affect my vote for
releasing 0.99, but it would be good to have matching source and binary
contents for the 1.0 release.

   Simon

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ws-tuscany-dev/200706.mbox/%3c467F717E.8020301@apache.org%3e

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.

--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: [VOTE] Release Tuscany Java SCA 0.99-incubating RC2

[RESULT] Release Tuscany Java SCA 0.99-incubating RC2

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
Passed with no -1s and 5 +1s from:

Ant Elder
Simon Laws
Jean-Sebastien Delfino
Luciano Rensende
Raymond Feng
Simon Nash

...ant

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
ant elder wrote:
> Omitted to vote myself ... +1 from me.
>
>    ...ant

I reviewed and tested RC2 on Linux and here's a summary of what I found:

Signatures are OK.

No license issues as far as I can tell.

Successful build of the source distribution.

A few minor issues with some of the samples:

- I didn't test the *ws*webapp samples as they were missing clear
instructions on how to run them and what to expect;

- I was not able to run the notification samples, I suggest to simplify
them and provide ant scripts for them for the next release;

- I had to press ctrl+c to stop some samples (the osgi and distributed
samples, and the mortgage demo);

- the databinding-echo sample gives me an NPE on Linux RHEL5 but works
on Linux Ubuntu (it suspect a problem with my RHEL environment as others
have not reported any problem with it on Windows either);

- a few typos in particular in the java -cp... commands in some READMEs;

- minor copy paste mistakes in some READMEs.

To summarize, some of the samples will need a little bit of cleanup for
the next release but I didn't run into any blocking bug or serious issue
requiring another RC.

+1 from me to release RC2!

--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: [VOTE] Release Tuscany Java SCA 0.99-incubating RC2

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On 8/27/07, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

- Snapshot references
> modules\binding-osgi\pom.xml
>
>     <parent>
>         <groupId>org.apache.tuscany.sca</groupId>
>         <artifactId>tuscany-modules</artifactId>
>         <version>0.99-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
>         <relativePath>../pom.xml</relativePath>
>     </parent>
>
>     <dependency>
>         <groupId>org.apache.tuscany.sca</groupId>
>         <artifactId>tuscany-host-embedded</artifactId>
>         <version>0.99-incubating-SNAPSHOT</version>
>     </dependency>

This is ok i think as the binding-osgi module isn't included in the source
build and isn't distributed in the binary distribution.

   ...ant

Re: [VOTE] Release Tuscany Java SCA 0.99-incubating RC2

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
Just a quick correction :

> I played with samples built with maven in jetty app server....
Should have been played with samples built using ant scripts.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
The maven-metadata.xml wasn't signed, but checking other projects, I
realized some do and some don't, so it should be ok for us.

+1 for releasing the 0.99 RC2

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vamsavardhana Reddy <c1...@gmail.com>.
I am having trouble getting wsdl for a ws binding.  It is throwing a
StringIndexOutOfBoundsException.    I am trying my tuscany plugin for
Geronimo with the helloworld webservice sample.  The plugin is using
SNAPSHOT jars from 2007-08-23.  I could not find individual jars so that I
can try my plugin with 0.99-RC2.  Can someone verify if ?wsdl is able to
generate the wsdl for webservice?

Vamsi

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On 8/25/07, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:

<snip>

remove Tuscany/Distros/0.99/tuscany-sca-0.99-incubating

Where is this, i can't find it anywhere?

   ...ant

Re: [VOTE] Release Tuscany Java SCA 0.99-incubating RC2

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
Comments in line, but to summarize I think the answer to the three licensing
questions is that its ok.

   ...ant

On 8/25/07, Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 8/25/07, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Please review and vote on the 0.99 release artifacts of Tuscany SCA for
> > Java.
> >
> > The artifacts are available for review at:
> > http://people.apache.org/~antelder/tuscany/0.99-RC2/
> >
> > This includes the signed binary and source distributions, the RAT
> reports,
> > and
> > the Maven staging repository.
> >
> > The SVN tag for the release is:
> >

> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/tags/java/sca/0.99-incubating/
> >
> > Many thanks,
> >
> >    ...ant
> >
> > (note, the artifacts are still uploading so if it looks like something's
> > missing please just wait a bit)
> >

> The summary for me is that I have licensing questions that affect my vote.
>
> 1/ !????? /Tuscany/Distros/0.99/tuscany-sca-0.99-incubating
>
> /samples/calculator-webapp-ws/src/test/java/calculator/CalculatorTestCaseOFF.java
>     Is an empty file. Can we just remove this without a restarting the
> vote?

Can't remove it without a respin. It doesn't cause any licensing issues that
its there.

2/ LICENSE
>   Is it ok that the the tuscany  sca modules are not  listed against the
> Apache2 license?

Yes its ok. The artifacts under the Apache license that are mentioned in the
LICENSE file is just to make it clear, i think its pretty clear the the
Apache Tuscany modules are covered by the Apache license.

3/ NOTICE
>   I don't see a notice of the included JRuby  file (as noted at the bottom
> of the LICENSE file). Is this the glassfish line?.

We should fix this for 1.0, but it was like this for 0.90 and 0.91 and the
copyright is actually referenced in the LICENSE file so i don't think its a
blocker for this release. I'll go fix it in the trunk and 0.99 branch.

If the answer to these three questions is yes then I'm +1 for going with RC2

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On 8/25/07, ant elder <an...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Please review and vote on the 0.99 release artifacts of Tuscany SCA for
> Java.
>
> The artifacts are available for review at:
> http://people.apache.org/~antelder/tuscany/0.99-RC2/
>
> This includes the signed binary and source distributions, the RAT reports,
> and
> the Maven staging repository.
>
> The SVN tag for the release is:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/tags/java/sca/0.99-incubating/
>
> Many thanks,
>
>    ...ant
>
> (note, the artifacts are still uploading so if it looks like something's
> missing please just wait a bit)

The summary for me is that I have licensing questions that affect my vote.

1/ !????? /Tuscany/Distros/0.99/tuscany-sca-0.99-incubating
/samples/calculator-webapp-ws/src/test/java/calculator/CalculatorTestCaseOFF.java
    Is an empty file. Can we just remove this without a restarting the vote?

2/ LICENSE
  Is it ok that the the tuscany  sca modules are not  listed against the
Apache2 license?

3/ NOTICE
  I don't see a notice of the included JRuby  file (as noted at the bottom
of the LICENSE file). Is this the glassfish line?.

If the answer to these three questions is yes then I'm +1 for going with RC2

I've looked mainly at the binary release as follows and made notes of fixes
required for future reference. If we can go with this RC then, from below, I

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
> [...]
> going to
> > happen.  On another run, this message was the penultimate one and not
> the
> > last one.  In both cases I waited and finally did a CTRL+C to end.
> >
> > 6) helloworld-ws-service-webapp (seems to be a problem)
> >     - The readme has just one line that is a URL.
> >     - Tried ant run but goal is not defined.  ant compile creates
> classes
> > and sdo classes.... so there is not lead to how one should run
> this.  Tried
> > ant package and deployed war.  But could not test it.  The url in the
> readme
> > resulted in a HTTP-500 with exception stack of...
> >
> > java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
> >     java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
> >     java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:242)
> >

> org.apache.tuscany.sca.databinding.DefaultDataBindingExtensionPoint$LazyDataBinding.getDataBinding
> (
> > DefaultDataBindingExtensionPoint.java:146)
> >

> org.apache.tuscany.sca.databinding.DefaultDataBindingExtensionPoint$LazyDataBinding.introspect
> > (DefaultDataBindingExtensionPoint.java:182)
> >

> org.apache.tuscany.sca.databinding.DefaultDataBindingExtensionPoint.introspectType
> (
> > DefaultDataBindingExtensionPoint.java:221)
> >

> > 7) helloworld-ws-sdo-webapp
> >     - has no readme file
> >     - no clue to run this.  no ant run.  Tried ant package and deployed
> > war - but no clue to test it further.
> >
> > 8) helloworld-ws-sdo
> >     - java command has type for executable class.  It is
> > helloworld.HelloWorldServer and not helloworld-ws-sdo.HellowWorldServer
> >     - same as about for client class
> >     - but sample is executable using ant.
> >
> > 9) feed-aggregator
> >     - just the simple thing that the console does not say how to stop
> the
> > server BUT the README
> >
> > 10) Notification samples
> >     - README needs to be modified to use the binary distro lib jars for
> > all that is being mentioned about setting up env.
> >     - I was not successful in running the samples... encountered
> > exceptions.
> >

> > On 8/25/07, ant elder < ant.elder@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Please review and vote on the 0.99 release artifacts of Tuscany SCA
> for
> > > Java.
> > >
> > > The artifacts are available for review at:
> > > http://people.apache.org/~antelder/tuscany/0.99-RC2/<
> http://people.apache.org/%7Eantelder/tuscany/0.99-RC2/>
> > >
> > > This includes the signed binary and source distributions, the RAT
> > > reports,
> > > and
> > > the Maven staging repository.
> > >
> > > The SVN tag for the release is:
> > >
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/tags/java/sca/0.99-incubating/
> > >

> > > Many thanks,
> > >
> > >    ...ant
> > >
> > > (note, the artifacts are still uploading so if it looks like

Ok, thanks ant

+1 from me for going with Tuscany Java SCA 0.99-incubating RC2

Simon

Re: [VOTE] Release Tuscany Java SCA 0.99-incubating RC2

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
[snip]
Venkata Krishnan wrote:
> 1) The web-resource sample console does not have a message that indicates
> how to stop the server - which is by pressing the <ENTER> key.  But the
> README has this documented - so I am ok with this.
>   - Running the sample using the java command specified in the README ends
> me with...
> F:\TuscanyWorkshop\Rel_0.99\bin\tuscany-
> sca-0.99-incubating\samples\web-resource>java -cp
> ..\..\lib\tuscany-sca-manif
> est.jar;target\sample-web-resource.jar web.resource.SampleServer
> Aug 25, 2007 5:29:54 PM
> org.apache.tuscany.sca.assembly.builder.impl.CompositeBuilderImpl$1 problem
> WARNING: [WARNING] Component implementation not found: myWeb : myContent
> null
>
> Aug 25, 2007 5:29:54 PM
> org.apache.tuscany.sca.assembly.builder.impl.CompositeBuilderImpl$1 problem
> WARNING: [WARNING] Service not found for component service: myWeb/Resource
> null
>
> Exception in thread "main" org.osoa.sca.ServiceRuntimeException:

This is just a small mistake in the README, which should say:

First build the sample with ant compile. Then to run it do:
java -cp ../../lib/tuscany-sca-manifest.jar:target/classes
web.resource.SampleServer

The sample must be run off the classes directory instead of the JAR, as
documented in JIRA https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TUSCANY-1605.

This alone doesn't require creating a new RC to exclude the sample IMO
as it works with ant run. If a new release candidate is needed for
another reason, we could just delete the README statement about running
without ant.

--
Jean-Sebastien

Re: [VOTE] Release Tuscany Java SCA 0.99-incubating RC2

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.
I apologize for that previous incomplete mail.  Really can't figure out how
hitting the space-bar sent that mail off.... anyways here is the
continuation.

On the samples
-----------------------
- Overall I'd like to remove the samples that we are not able to run -
neither thro ant nor thro the java command.  But then, again, I'd like to
hear if others have had different experiences with the ones that I have
reported in my prev. mail
- I tried building the samples using maven from a clean repo but did not go
thro.  I suppose this is because the artifacts are just about getting
loaded.  So will try them out after a while.

I'd like to maven build the samples and the src distro. before giving my
vote.  Before that I'd like to get the concerns I've raised for the LICENSE
clarified.

Thank You very much for pulling this together.

- Venkat

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi....

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.