Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Mark J Cox <ma...@ukweb.com> on 1996/07/17 15:07:39 UTC

mod_negotiation gif/jpeg issues

A friend using Apache 1.1 was telling me today about a site he just
created that had every image available as GIF and JPG.  He wanted to make
sure that Netscape and others got JPEGs and others got GIFs.  Without a
VAR map Apache always sent the GIF so he had to write a program to create
the hundreds of VAR maps that all said basically the same thing (*1)

He thought a good solution would be to specify a default type map that
would apply when a map isn't available and is built from a directory
listing instead (so he could say treat all "image/jpeg" as qs=0.6 and
"image/gif" as qs=0.5)

Does this sound like a useful patch to anyone else?

Mark

(*1)---------------------------------
URI: image; vary="type"

URI: image.jpg

URI: image.gif

Re: mod_negotiation gif/jpeg issues

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@organic.com>.
On Wed, 17 Jul 1996, Mark J Cox wrote:

> A friend using Apache 1.1 was telling me today about a site he just
> created that had every image available as GIF and JPG.  He wanted to make
> sure that Netscape and others got JPEGs and others got GIFs.  Without a
> VAR map Apache always sent the GIF so he had to write a program to create
> the hundreds of VAR maps that all said basically the same thing (*1)
>
> He thought a good solution would be to specify a default type map that
> would apply when a map isn't available and is built from a directory
> listing instead (so he could say treat all "image/jpeg" as qs=0.6 and
> "image/gif" as qs=0.5)
>
> Does this sound like a useful patch to anyone else?

I'm probably wrong, but I *think* I remember rst, a long long time ago,
saying you can do something like "AddType jpg image/jpeg;qs=0.6", and it
may work.

-- Alexei Kosut <ak...@organic.com>            The Apache HTTP Server