Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com> on 2018/01/22 21:51:30 UTC

Spark vs Snowflake

Hi,

Has anyone had experience of using Snowflake <https://www.snowflake.net/uk/>
which touts itself as data warehouse built for the cloud? In reviews
<https://www.g2crowd.com/products/snowflake-computing-inc-snowflake-computing/reviews>one
recommendation states

"DEFINITELY AN ALTERNATIVE TO AMAZON RED SHIFT AND SPARK"

Now I am not sure about inner workings of this product but I will be
surprised if the product is actually faster than using Spark on HDFS.

There is very little literature on this product except that it shouts "me
too" among Amazon Redshift and Google BigQuery.

anyone has used this product?

thanks

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com

such loss, damage or destruction.

Re: Spark vs Snowflake

Posted by Patrick McCarthy <pm...@dstillery.com>.
Last I heard of them a year or two ago, they basically repackage AWS
services behind their own API/service layer for convenience. There's
probably a value-add if you're not familiar with optimizing AWS, but if you
already have that expertise I don't expect they would add much extra
performance if any.