Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by José Armando García Sancio <js...@confluent.io.INVALID> on 2022/05/10 22:53:07 UTC

[DISCUSS] Apache Kafka 3.3.0 Release

Hi all,

I would like to volunteer for the release of Apache Kafka 3.3.0. If
people agree, I'll start working on the release plan and update this
thread.

Thanks,
-José

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Kafka 3.3.0 Release

Posted by José Armando García Sancio <js...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
On Wed, Jul 13, 2022 at 10:01 AM Sagar <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well actually I have 2 approved PRs from Kafka Connect:
>
> https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/12321
> https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/12309
>
> Not sure how to get these merged though but I think these can go into 3.3
> release.

Thank you for the fixes. What do you think Chris Egerton since you
reviewed them and merged them into trunk?

Posted by José Armando García Sancio <js...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
On Thu, Jul 21, 2022 at 1:56 PM Randall Hauch <rh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Will you approve me merging the fix to the `3.3` branch for inclusion in 3.3.0?

Yes. I approved this fix for 3.3.0. Randall merged it to the 3.3.0 branch.

Posted by José Armando García Sancio <js...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
On Thu, Jul 21, 2022 at 8:10 PM Luke Chen <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just found the KIP-831 is not listed in the v3.3 planned KIPs.
> It is completed and merged.
> Please help add it.

Thanks. It should now be in the 3.3.0 release page.

Posted by José Armando García Sancio <js...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
On Thu, Aug 4, 2022 at 2:33 PM Niket Goel <ng...@confluent.io.invalid> wrote:
> I would like to request adding KIP-859 [1] to the 3.3.0 release. The KIP
> adds some important metrics to allow visibility into KRaft log processing
> related errors.

Thanks Niket. Adding these metrics to the 3.3.0 release should be okay
since they are low risk and important for monitoring the health and
availability of a KRaft cluster.

I have updated the 3.3.0 release page.

Posted by Niket Goel <ng...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
(hit send too soon)
KIP --
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/KIP-859%3A+Add+Metadata+Log+Processing+Error+Related+Metrics
JIRA -- https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-14114

--
- Niket

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Kafka 3.3.0 Release

Posted by Niket Goel <ng...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
Hey Jose,

--
- Niket

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Kafka 3.3.0 Release

Posted by José Armando García Sancio <js...@confluent.io.INVALID>.

Posted by Justine Olshan <jo...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
Hey Jose.
I found a gap in handling ISR changes in ZK mode. We just need to prevent
brokers that are offline from being added to ISR. Since KIP-841 is part of
this release and the fix should be small (a few lines), I propose adding
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-14140 to the 3.3 release.
I'm hoping to have the PR reviewed and completed next week.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Justine

On Thu, Aug 4, 2022 at 8:30 AM José Armando García Sancio

Posted by José Armando García Sancio <js...@confluent.io.INVALID>.

Posted by Chris Egerton <fe...@gmail.com>.
Hi José,

Would it be okay to backport https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/12451 to
the current 3.3 branch? It's a strictly cosmetic change that updates a
misleading comment about exactly-once support for source connectors. I'm
hoping it'll make life easier for anyone who has to debug this feature by
saving some confusion.

Cheers,

Chris

Posted by Luke Chen <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jose,

Posted by Randall Hauch <rh...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Jose.

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Egerton <fe...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by José Armando García Sancio <js...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
On Thu, Jul 14, 2022 at 4:55 PM Jason Gustafson
<ja...@confluent.io.invalid> wrote:

> Hey Jose,
>
> Thanks for volunteering to manage the release! KIP-833 is currently slotted
> for 3.3. We've been getting some help from Jack Vanlighty to validate the
> raft implementation in TLA+ and with frameworks like Jepsen. The
> specification is written here if anyone is interested:
> https://github.com/Vanlightly/raft-tlaplus/blob/main/specifications/pull-raft/KRaft.tla.
> The main gap that this work uncovered in our implementation is documented
> here: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-14077. I do believe that
> KIP-833 depends on fixing this issue, so I wanted to see how you feel about
> giving us a little more time to address it?

Thanks Jason.

Ismael, Jason, Colin and I discussed this offline. We don't think this
should be a blocker for 3.3.0. "KIP-853: KRaft Voter Changes" is my
proposal to fix this. If the KIP is approved, we should be able to
include the fix in 3.4.0. I went ahead and replaced the fix version
with 3.4.0.

For 3.3.0 we planned to improve the kafka-metadata-quorum tool so that
it can tell the Apache Kafka administrator when it is safe to bring
back a controller with a failed disk.

Posted by Jason Gustafson <ja...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
Hey Jose,

Posted by Sagar <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hey Jose,

Posted by José Armando García Sancio <js...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
Excuse the delay in the response. I was busy dealing with some
potentially blocking issues for the 3.3.0 release.

On Wed, Jul 13, 2022 at 4:33 AM Divij Vaidya <di...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A few of my PRs are pending review for quite some which I was hoping to
> merge into 3.3. I have already marked them with "Fix version=3.3.0" so that
> you can track them using the JIRA filter you shared earlier
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20KAFKA%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%203.3.0%20AND%20status%20not%20in%20(resolved%2C%20closed)%20ORDER%20BY%20priority%20DESC%2C%20status%20DESC%2C%20updated%20DESC%20%20%20%20%20%20>
> in this thread. Would you have some time to review them?

Thanks for your contribution. It looks like some of those issues have
Apache Kafka committers reviewing them. I can try helping if I have
time.

Posted by Divij Vaidya <di...@gmail.com>.
Hey Jose

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thank you, Jose.

Regards,

Rajini

On Fri, Jul 8, 2022 at 2:43 PM José Armando García Sancio

Posted by José Armando García Sancio <js...@confluent.io.INVALID>.

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jose,

We have a PR for batched offset fetch API, which is part of KIP-709 (
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=173084258)
that was opened a year ago, but didn't get merged because we didn't have
time to merge into 3.0: https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/10964. The
broker-side change of this KIP was merged into AK 3.0, so it will be good
to include the client-side changes to make use of the batched protocol. I
can get the PR rebased and ready to merge early next week. Since the KIP
was approved before KIP freeze and the PR was ready before feature freeze,
can we include this in AK 3.3.0 please?

Thank you,

Rajini

On Thu, Jul 7, 2022 at 3:37 PM José Armando García Sancio

Posted by José Armando García Sancio <js...@confluent.io.INVALID>.

Posted by Sagar <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jose,

Pr for KIP-843 also got merged almost 24 days ago. There’s a follow up pr
open for documentation changes. Could this also be added plz?

Sagar.

On Thu, 7 Jul 2022 at 7:44 PM, José Armando García Sancio

Posted by José Armando García Sancio <js...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
Hi all,

Posted by Viktor Somogyi-Vass <vi...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.
hi Jose,

KIP-373 just went in yesterday (and likely add some docs too today), would
you please add it to the list?

Thanks,
Viktor

Posted by Matthew Benedict de Detrich <ma...@aiven.io.INVALID>.
Hi José,

Posted by José Armando García Sancio <js...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
Hi Divij,

Posted by Divij Vaidya <di...@gmail.com>.
Hello

*Question#1*: Do we only track the KIPs over here that are blockers for
release or do we track the non-KIP JIRA tickets as well?

If we don't track the JIRA tickets, please ignore the following, but if we
do, I would like to propose that we fix/merge the following before release:
1. https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/12228 -> Fixes multiple memory
leaks.
2. https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/12184 -> Fixes an edge case where a
specific configuration for quota values could lead to errors.

*Question#2*: As a non-committer, is there anything that I could help with
for the release process?

Regards,
Divij Vaidya

On Wed, Jun 15, 2022 at 11:10 PM José Armando García Sancio

Posted by José Armando García Sancio <js...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
Thanks for the updates everyone. I added KIP-618, KIP-841, KIP-827 and
KIP-834 to the planned KIPs for 3.3.0.

David Jacot, it looks like KIP-841 is not linked from the "Kafka
Improvement Proposals" page:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/4QwIAw

Posted by Jim Hughes <jh...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
Hi José,

Can we add KIP-834 as well?  The vote has passed and I have PR in progress.

Cheers,

Jim

Posted by Mickael Maison <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi José,

Posted by David Jacot <dj...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
Hi José,

Posted by Chris Egerton <fe...@gmail.com>.
Hi José,

Posted by Bill Bejeck <bb...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for volunteering to run the release José!

+1

-Bill

Posted by Bruno Cadonna <ca...@apache.org>.
Thanks José!

Posted by John Roesler <vv...@apache.org>.

Posted by José Armando García Sancio <js...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
+1 from me.

Thanks for your help David. Much appreciated.

Posted by David Arthur <da...@confluent.io.INVALID>.

--
-David

Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Kafka 3.3.0 Release

Posted by Artem Livshits <al...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
Hi  José ,

I found a potential regression in the new Sticky Partitioner logic, details
are here https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-14156.  I've added a
draft PR, will add unit tests soon.  I think we should include the fix into
3.3.0.

-Artem

Posted by Colin McCabe <cm...@apache.org>.
Hi José,

Posted by José Armando García Sancio <js...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
Hello Kafka users, developers and client-developers,

This is the first candidate for release of Apache Kafka 3.3.0.

Release notes for the 3.3.0 release:
https://home.apache.org/~jsancio/kafka-3.3.0-rc1/RELEASE_NOTES.html

Please download and test.

Kafka's KEYS file containing PGP keys we use to sign the release:
https://kafka.apache.org/KEYS

* Release artifacts (source and binary):
https://home.apache.org/~jsancio/kafka-3.3.0-rc1/

* Maven artifacts:
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/staging/org/apache/kafka/

* Javadoc:
https://home.apache.org/~jsancio/kafka-3.3.0-rc1/javadoc/

* The 3.3.0 tag:
https://github.com/apache/kafka/releases/tag/3.3.0-rc1

* Documentation:
https://kafka.apache.org/33/documentation.html

* Protocol:
https://kafka.apache.org/33/protocol.html

* Successful Jenkins builds for the 3.3 branch:
Unit/integration tests:
https://ci-builds.apache.org/job/Kafka/job/kafka/job/3.3/50/

The system tests are failing and I am looking into the issue.

Posted by José Armando García Sancio <js...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
Hi Apache Kafka Committers,

I need some help reviewing PRs for 3.3. I created a GitHub label for
3.3 . I marked all of the PRs that were associated with a Jira that
was targeting 3.3.0 . I also added components labels to some of the
PRs. If you have some time to review and merge those PRs, it is
greatly appreciated. Here is the list of PRs that need attention:

https://github.com/apache/kafka/labels/3.3

Thanks!

Posted by Chris Egerton <fe...@gmail.com>.
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2022 at 10:01 AM Sagar <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Well actually I have 2 approved PRs from Kafka Connect:
> >
> > https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/12321
> > https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/12309
> >
> > Not sure how to get these merged though but I think these can go into
3.3
> > release.
>
> Thank you for the fixes. What do you think Chris Egerton since you
> reviewed them and merged them into trunk?

I think these are useful contributions but probably not worth backporting
at this stage. They do not address regressions and they do not impact the
stability of the release. I am looking forward to having
https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/12309 in 3.4/4.0, though!

> On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 2:16 PM Chris Egerton <fe...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Would it be okay to backport https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/12451
to the current 3.3 branch? It's a strictly cosmetic change that updates a
misleading comment about exactly-once support for source connectors. I'm
hoping it'll make life easier for anyone who has to debug this feature by
saving some confusion.

> Yes. Feel free to cherry pick it to the 3.3.0 branch. As you said, it
> is mainly a formatting change and a comment change. It should be low
> risk.
>
> Thanks!

Thanks José! Will get on that now.

Cheers,

Chris

On Thu, Aug 4, 2022 at 11:32 AM José Armando García Sancio

Posted by José Armando García Sancio <js...@confluent.io.INVALID>.

Posted by Matthew Benedict de Detrich <ma...@aiven.io.INVALID>.
Just letting everyone know that in regards to KIP-797 (which was accepted in this release), the PR at https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/11478 has received a binding approval from Luke Chen however we are still waiting for review from Mickael Maison/Tom Bently since they also reviewed the PR.