Posted to dev@allura.apache.org by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net> on 2017/04/02 03:25:10 UTC

Re: GSoC 2017 Proposal

On 3/31/17 9:15 AM, Nadun Indunil wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is my draft proposal to apply GSoC 2017. Your comments and feedbacks
> are highly appreciated.
>
> Link:
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RjN7RZMwT9K7tW5vctLo5c81X6ps3NFvFkZK4PTsirU/edit?usp=sharing
>
> Thank you.

Hi Nadun,

Thanks for sharing this.  Overall it looks pretty good, but I do have a few
recommendations:

* It might be possible to do more, and it would be good to pick out what that
might be.  And did you think about #1782?
* For commitments, you mention exams.  If you also have courses or class time
before exams, please mention that, and how much it is.
* During the bonding period (and even before) I would recommend making small
improvements and contributions.  Making code changes I think is a better way to
learn than just reading.

And a few minor suggestions:

* "Allura\u2019s one core function" in Background and Results: this sounds like it is
the only core function.  A better phrase would be "one of Allura's core
functions", since it is one of several core things Allura has.
* For "meta" comments, we use that term internally, but users probably won't
know what that means.  The UI probably should say "Ticket Changes" or something
like that.
* You mentioned PyCharm and VS Code, do you use both of those IDEs?

And as I mentioned in another email:

I do want to be clear about the overall process, as much as I can be.  There
will be a limited number of GSOC spots available for the whole Apache Software
Foundation and Allura is part of that, with many students applying.  Even good
students with good applications may not get accepted.  My best recommendation to
you and other applicants is to continue to be engaged and learn and make good
quality contributions during the proposal period.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal

Re: GSoC 2017 Proposal

Posted by Nadun Indunil <na...@cse.mrt.ac.lk>.
Hi Dave,

Thank you very much for evaluating my draft.
sure, I will add the changes you suggested into the final proposal.

thank you.

*Nadun Indunil*

University of Moratuwa

Mobile: +94719201680