Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Chris Chabot <ch...@xs4all.nl> on 2008/07/26 13:04:28 UTC

Re: Shinding: Feed requests compatibility

Forwarding to the shindig-dev list where this belongs :)

Guys the question is: The fetch feed format is different between
iGoogle (which has Entry vs item, Link vs link, and some extra fields
which shindig doesn't provided) and shindig.

Is this a case of the specification being different between the two or
a bug?

On Jul 26, 2008, at 11:54 AM, <An...@portal.onet.pl> <Andrzej.Margos@portal.onet.pl

Posted by Chris Chabot <ch...@xs4all.nl>.
On Jul 26, 2008, at 10:29 PM, Kevin Brown wrote:

> the specification not bothering to actually specify

What good is a specification that doesn't specify? doesn't that just
make it a /dev/null ? :)

I'll change php shindig's output to match the java one's (again, i'm
sure it did before when we made this), i agree that compatibility is
important enough to go for the not so logical path :)

	-- Chris

Re: Shinding: Feed requests compatibility

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.
On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 4:04 AM, Chris Chabot <ch...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Forwarding to the shindig-dev list where this belongs :)
>
> Guys the question is: The fetch feed format is different between iGoogle
> (which has Entry vs item, Link vs link, and some extra fields which shindig
> doesn't provided) and shindig.
>
> Is this a case of the specification being different between the two or a
> bug?

It's another case of the specification not bothering to actually specify:

http://www.opensocial.org/Technical-Resources/opensocial-spec-v08/gadgets-reference08#gadgets.io.ContentType

The java version matches what iGoogle did (
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/shindig/trunk/java/gadgets/src/main/java/org/apache/shindig/gadgets/FeedProcessor.java?revision=675689&view=markup
)

But that doesn't mean that the PHP version is necessarily "wrong", as the
spec doesn't even say what the response format is supposed to be at all. I
think the PHP version actually makes more sense, since element names are
lower case in both RSS and Atom, and I never understood why iG did it the
way they did.

Whatever you decide, the PHP and Java versions should agree. I lean slightly
towards going with the iG variant to avoid compatibility issues.