Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Jeremy Hansen <je...@skidrow.la.INVALID> on 2022/12/06 04:26:24 UTC

Issues with Rocky 9.1 qcow2 image

I’m trying to boot a Rocky cloud image for Rocky 9.1 using their qcow2 image.

As soon as I start the VM, I get:

“Probing EDD (edd=off to disable)… ok”

and then nothing. I don’t see a DHCP lease being pulled, so I assume the VM isn’t actually proceeding with boot.

Anyone else see this? This is on Cloudstack 4.17.1.0. I posted a similar message on the Rocky mail list. Is there an easy way via virsh or cloudstack to alter the kernel command line parameters in an existing image before it boots?

Thanks
-jeremy

Re: Issues with Rocky 9.1 qcow2 image

Posted by Jeremy Hansen <je...@skidrow.la.INVALID>.
This worked of course. Thank you very much!

Posted by Jeremy Hansen <je...@skidrow.la.INVALID>.
Thank you!

Posted by Wei ZHOU <us...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jeremy Hansen <je...@skidrow.la.INVALID>.

Posted by Jeremy Hansen <je...@skidrow.la.INVALID>.

Posted by Jeremy Hansen <je...@skidrow.la.INVALID>.

Posted by Nux <nu...@li.nux.ro>.

Posted by Jeremy Hansen <je...@skidrow.la.INVALID>.
Strange, I tried launching the Rocky 9.1 ISO to build a new image and it also kernel panics upon boot. Not sure what the issue is. My Rocky 8 images seem fine.

Hmmm…

-jeremy

Posted by Jeremy Hansen <je...@skidrow.la.INVALID>.

Posted by Jeremy Hansen <je...@skidrow.la.INVALID>.

On 2022-12-06 15:26, Jeremy Hansen wrote:

> Unfortunately I think it gets stuck before ever reaching grub. I tried
> to catch it on the console after a reboot and this is all I see. I
> never get to the grub menu.
>
> Is there a way I can alter the qcow2 image before I create a template?
>
> I thought perhaps I could see the IP it obtains via dhcp, but I see
> nothing coming from that VM which tells me it's not getting to the
> point of bringing up its interface.
>
> Thanks
> -jeremy
>
> On Tuesday, Dec 06, 2022 at 4:59 AM, Nux <nu...@li.nux.ro> wrote:
>
> You can't alter the kernel parameters from libvirt as the image loads
> its own kernel, but you can alter the parameters at their grub screen.
> Try to open the console proxy as soon as possible and hit up or down
> arrow so grub doesn't proceed, then hit "e" key (I think) to edit the
> appropriate vmlinuz entry.
>
> My hunch is that this being a generic image (made mostly with EC2 and
> possibly Openstack in mind) they send all output to a serial console
> instead of vga, so you would need to remove any parameters such as
> console=ttyS0 and then boot it.
>
> ---
> Nux
> www.nux.ro [1]
>
> On 2022-12-06 04:26, Jeremy Hansen wrote:
>
> I'm trying to boot a Rocky cloud image for Rocky 9.1 using their qcow2
> image.
>
> As soon as I start the VM, I get:
>
> "Probing EDD (edd=off to disable)... ok"
>
> and then nothing. I don't see a DHCP lease being pulled, so I assume
> the VM isn't actually proceeding with boot.
>
> Anyone else see this? This is on Cloudstack 4.17.1.0. I posted a
> similar message on the Rocky mail list. Is there an easy way via virsh
> or cloudstack to alter the kernel command line parameters in an
> existing image before it boots?
>
> Thanks
> -jeremy
>
> Links:
> ------
> [1] http://www.nux.ro

Links:
------
[1] http://www.nux.ro

Re: Issues with Rocky 9.1 qcow2 image

Posted by Jeremy Hansen <je...@skidrow.la.INVALID>.

On 2022-12-06 04:26, Jeremy Hansen wrote:

> I'm trying to boot a Rocky cloud image for Rocky 9.1 using their qcow2
> image.
>
> As soon as I start the VM, I get:
>
> "Probing EDD (edd=off to disable)... ok"
>
> and then nothing.  I don't see a DHCP lease being pulled, so I assume
> the VM isn't actually proceeding with boot.
>
> Anyone else see this?  This is on Cloudstack 4.17.1.0.  I posted a
> similar message on the Rocky mail list.  Is there an easy way via virsh
> or cloudstack to alter the kernel command line parameters in an
> existing image before it boots?
>
> Thanks
> -jeremy

Links: