Posted to dev@stanbol.apache.org by Luyi Wang <wa...@guitarca.com> on 2014/09/07 07:08:51 UTC

Stanbol war deployed to tomcat7 on ubuntu 14.04

Hi all:

Would like to share my experience on deploying stanbol war file to tomcat7
on ubuntu 14.04

After the full build by following instruction upon
http://stanbol.apache.org/docs/trunk/tutorial.html

I got the stanbol.war file deployed on tomcat7 but it kept reporting error
for resource not available as Apache Sling is starting. I checked the
access log and found stanbol (actually sling) failed in creating a folder
under tomcat folder instead of tomcat webapps folder. An easy hack way is
to create a folder named "stanbol"  with tomcat7 user/group access under
your $CATALINA_BASE folder and restart tomcat7. Then everything is fine
except the the link "system/console" would be broken by default setting.

The broken link reporting permission error. To solve this, need to edit two
parts.
1. add permission into your tomcat policy configuration which is under
/etc/tomcat7/policy.d folder.  You can choose one to edit since later on
they all compile to be one file as $CATALINA_BASE/work/catalina.policy
(/var/lib/tomcat7/work/catalina.policy)

The hack way is to grant permission with careless.

grant {
permission java.security.AllPermission;
};

I tried to make it more robust by adding permission only for stanbol
codebase however I failed to make it work. If anyone knows how to do , let
me know.

After that , need to change the tomcat init script in /etc/init.d/tomcat
Line 98 to yes.

TOMCAT7_SECURITY=yes

After all these, every component would work but we need to alter the tomcat
application memory size.

vi /etc/default/tomcat7

change the JAVA_OPTS line.

JAVA_OPTS="-Djava.awt.headless=true -Xmx1g -XX:MaxPermSize=256m
-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC"

Then restart tomcat7.

Hope this would help people.

Thanks.

-Luyi.

Re: Stanbol war deployed to tomcat7 on ubuntu 14.04

Posted by Luyi Wang <wa...@guitarca.com>.
No problem for this.  I will try to add this probably on friday.

Thanks.

Posted by Fabian Christ <ch...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Luyi,

--
Fabian
http://twitter.com/fctwitt

Re: Stanbol war deployed to tomcat7 on ubuntu 14.04

Posted by "ajs6f@virginia.edu" <aj...@virginia.edu>.

Posted by Luyi Wang <wa...@guitarca.com>.
yeah.

Posted by "ajs6f@virginia.edu" <aj...@virginia.edu>.