Posted to dev@joshua.apache.org by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com> on 2020/10/19 06:16:35 UTC

NMT survey (was: Roll Cal)

Following up on the report topic, I've created an overleaf doc for everyone
who's interested in working on this [1].

First set of (AL-2 compatible) NMT toolkits I've found:
- Joey NMT [2]
- OpenNMT [3]
- MarianNMT [4]
- Sockeye [5]
- and of course RTG already shared by Thamme [6]

Regards,
Tommaso

[1] : https://www.overleaf.com/8617554857qkvtqtpcxxmw
[2] : https://github.com/joeynmt/joeynmt
[3] : https://github.com/OpenNMT
[4] : https://github.com/marian-nmt/marian
[5] : https://github.com/awslabs/sockeye
[6] : https://github.com/isi-nlp/rtg-xt

Re: NMT survey (was: Roll Cal)

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
Hi everyone,

following up on this topic, how about performing a shared evaluation of the
tools we mentioned so far?
I'd address this by deciding upon a "shared MT task" on a well known and
not so big dataset and then getting an evaluation run for each of those
toolkits.
The evaluation task would require gettin:
- an accuracy metric value (BLEU? I know it's questionable, otherwise what
else?)
- a prediction speed measure (e.g. translations per second), reporting also
the hardware used
- a training speed measure (e.g. seconds/minutes/hours taken to train the
model)

What do others think?

Regards,
Tommaso