Posted to dev@fineract.apache.org by James Dailey <ja...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/10 16:45:51 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Accept Mifos I/O code into the Apache Fineract project as Fineract CN

Myrle - I'd say drop "fims" prefix. Too long already, potentially
redundant.

Any reason to shorten Fineract-CN. ??

On Oct 18, 2017 2:29 AM, "Myrle Krantz" <my...@apache.org> wrote:

Please vote whether you wish to accept into the Fineract project all
of the repositories found at

https://github.com/mifosio

A yes vote means that we as Apache Fineract will:
* Begin the software grant process via the Apache Incubator and the
Mifos Initiative.
* Collect the necessary software grants, CLA's, and ICLA's from
companies and individual contributors to mifosio.
* Create Infra tickets to create repositories to move the code into
with a preference for gitbox repositories.
* Transfer the code to the new repositories.

Please be aware that developers are still actively developing, so new
commits may come into those repositories during the voting process.
With apologies, but I believe this is better than keeping new code out
of those repositories for the duration of the vote and dumping it in
afterward.

Further discussion/votes will be held before we release, make
adjustments to JIRA, or make any other significant requests to Infra.

Voting will continue until 2/3's of committers have responded but for
at least 72 hours.  Non-committers are welcome to provide non-binding
votes as well.

This is my +1 vote.

Best Regards,
Myrle Krantz
Committer, Apache Fineract

Re: [VOTE] Accept Mifos I/O code into the Apache Fineract project as Fineract CN

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
Hey James,

The vote you're responding to has already been closed.  You can find
the result here:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/8a791e91aa1295c84cd51f0429af2fcdada7db57fdb65b4185ea5fc0@%3Cdev.fineract.apache.org%3E

I don't understand the question about shortening fineract-cn.  fims is
not short for fineract-cn.

"fims" is a made up name for the *back-office* web app.  That part of
the name is there to differentiate this web-app from other potential
web apps we might do in the future such as a *self-service* web app or
a *field officer* web app.

Please ask again if that leaves any of your questions unanswered.

Regards,
Myrle

Posted by James Dailey <ja...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Myrle.

I was responding to your question:
   "Should I remove fims?" as a prefix.
with:  Yes, you should.

to be clear, I was not responding to gitbox or the testing namespace per
se.  Got that the vote was completed.

Then, following the theme of shortening the prefix, I was *wondering* if
Fineract-CN would be shorted in the gitbox.
Is "fcn" just as meaningful as Fineract-CN?

So...moving on... in terms of namespace for front end
applications...perhaps some combination of answers to:
* Who uses the app?
* Which institutional type?
* Which business model?

NBFI-backoffice (non-banking financial institution)
CreditUnion-backoffice (share based financial institution)
RetailBank-backoffice (banking)

NBFI-customer
and so on...

I think we should get away from non-standard terms like "self service"
which is really about customer access.  I think that channels are another
way to think about this, so "omni" becomes a catch all.

I do believe naming and the concepts imbedded becomes important when
bringing new organizations and developers to a project.

 my 2 cents.

Regards,
- James

Posted by Awasum Yannick <aw...@skylabase.com>.