Posted to dev@plc4x.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2019/05/24 08:11:41 UTC

[REPORT] June Board Report draft

Hi all,

I started drafting our new Incubator report here [1]

Feel free to comment on it.

I will try to sort of finish and submit it till 31st May.

Chris

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/PLC4X/2019-June

Re: [REPORT] June Board Report draft

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

I think some of those start are not needed or you could just say “mailing list and JIRA activity has doubled in the last 3 months”, would would be more interesting to the board is to know if that growth was from committers or new people.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [REPORT] June Board Report draft

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Yeah ... just noticed that something must have blocked our latest PMC change ... isn't effective yet ... am investigating and updating asap.

Chris

Am 03.06.19, 11:21 schrieb "Julian Feinauer" <j....@pragmaticminds.de>:

    Thanks

    Von meinem Mobiltelefon gesendet

    Betreff: Re: [REPORT] June Board Report draft
    Von: Christofer Dutz
    An: dev@plc4x.apache.org

    Hi all,

    so I just submitted out second TLP report. I was luckily told about a little tool for generating templates for board reporst, so the end result is a little different than the one in the wiki.
    But I think most of it should be unchanged.

    So here comes what I submitted:

    PLC4X
    info
    navigation
     - Apache PLC4X is a set of libraries for communicating with industrial
       programmable logic controllers (PLCs) using a variety of protocols but with
       a shared API.

    ## Issues:
     - none

    ## Activity:
     - Part of our team attended the European Union EU-FOSSA2 Hackathon in
       Brussels, which was a huge success. Not only did we work on quite a lot of
       different topics, but we managed to win 2-3 new people for the project,
       some of which have become quite active since then.

     - We managed to add OPC-UA client support with a new Java OPC-UA driver. This
       was a highly requested feature in the past.

     - Our multi-language configuration work has progressed very well and we
       hardened our build to do some pre-build-diagnostics in order to assist new
       contributors with setting up the project. We are currently fine-tuning this
       tooling. At the moment our build works fine with: Java, C++, C# and Python
       on Mac, Linux and Windows systems and we are able to release all of these
       with our standard release procedure. This has been proven by our first TLP
       release (Apache PLC4X 0.4.0) which is also the by far best tested and
       reviewed RC we ever had. Maximum KUDOs to our team for this.

     - We are currently working hard on finding ways to generate the boilerplate
       code for the drivers. Multiple people are working on different proposals
       for this. We are expecting to consolidate these into a new workflow within
       the next few months.

     - On 24th May 2019 we had our first Meetup as TLP and used this to also do a
       little graduation party where a big part of the community attended

    ## Plans for the future:
     - We hope to consolidate the code-generation initiatives and form a standard
       code-generation workflow for the project.

     - As soon as that's done we will start converting more and more protocols
       into a form so we can generate the drivers in the future.

     - Also do we need more working ports of existing drivers for generating
       code-generation templates for other languages than Java.

    ## Health report:
     - We would claim that the project is currently very healthy. We have several
       prospects for being invited into the PMC soon.

    ## PMC changes:

     - Currently 7 PMC members.
     - Björn Höper was added to the PMC on Mon May 13 2019

    ## Committer base changes:

     - Currently 7 committers.
     - Björn Höper was added as a committer on Wed May 08 2019

    ## Releases:

     - 0.4.0 was released on Mon May 27 2019 (Our first TLP release)

    ## Mailing list activity:

     - dev@plc4x.apache.org:

     - issues@plc4x.apache.org:

    ## JIRA activity: