Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ian Russell <ar...@flemisheye.com> on 2005/10/08 20:22:47 UTC

OSX install

Hi. I'm new to the list.

I want to install Subversion on OSX. I ran the installer, and it
appeared to be successful, but I was never prompted to enter a a path
or anything as per II. 2. of the instructions, so it seemed a little
fishy.

It installed an array of files into usr/local/, but I don't see an
application. Any ideas?

Ian Russell

Re: OSX install

Posted by Stephen Davis <su...@soundgeek.org>.
On Oct 8, 2005, at 1:22 PM, Ian Russell wrote:

> Hi. I'm new to the list.
>
> I want to install Subversion on OSX. I ran the installer, and it
> appeared to be successful, but I was never prompted to enter a a
> path or anything as per II. 2. of the instructions, so it seemed a
> little fishy.
>
> It installed an array of files into usr/local/, but I don't see an
> application. Any ideas?

There is no application included with the installer, just command
line tools you use from within the Terminal application.

Two native OS X GUI subversion apps are:

     svnX
     http://www.lachoseinteractive.net/en/community/subversion/svnx/
features/

     iSVN
     http://www.einhugur.com/iSvn/

II.2 of the instructions refers to manually adding /usr/local/bin to
the path used by the Terminal application to find the "svn" command
line tool installed in /usr/local/bin.  Assuming your shell is bash
(which is the default shell since 10.3 I think), you need to edit a
file called ".profile" in your home directory (it may not exist yet)
and add the following line to it:

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin

Then, you should be able to type "svn --version" at the prompt in
Terminal and see something like this:

svn, version 1.2.3 (r15833)
    compiled Aug 30 2005, 00:28:23

Copyright (C) 2000-2005 CollabNet.
Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/
This product includes software developed by CollabNet (http://
www.Collab.Net/).

The following repository access (RA) modules are available:

* ra_dav : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV (DeltaV)
protocol.
   - handles 'http' scheme
   - handles 'https' scheme
* ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network
protocol.
   - handles 'svn' scheme
* ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
   - handles 'file' scheme

That will tell you everything is set up properly.  The exact output
of your version will probably be different since I built mine myself
and didn't use the installer.

hope that helps,
stephen

Re: OSX install

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Oct 8, 2005, at 22:22, Ian Russell wrote:

> I want to install Subversion on OSX. I ran the installer, and it
> appeared to be successful, but I was never prompted to enter a a
> path or anything as per II. 2. of the instructions, so it seemed a
> little fishy.
>
> It installed an array of files into usr/local/, but I don't see an
> application. Any ideas?

Subversion isn't an application. It's a set of command-line
programs. /usr/local sounds like a reasonable place for them to have
been installed. To learn how to use Subversion in general, and the
command-line programs in particular, read the good book:

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/

If you're looking for a graphical Subversion application for Mac OS
X, the Subversion team doesn't make one, but some other people have.
SvnX, iSVN, eSVN and Subcommander are some that I've heard of, though
you'll have to try them yourself to see if they're any good. You
should be able to find them at VersionTracker or MacUpdate. Also,
please check with the respective publishers of those applications for
support information should you need it; this list is best able to
answer questions related to the Subversion command-line programs and
libraries, and version control in general.