Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Karan, Cem (Civ, ARL/CISD)" <CK...@arl.army.mil> on 2004/12/14 19:29:09 UTC

stumped by where svn:ignore is stored...

I have a fairly odd question.  I setup my repository (or is it the
working copy?) to ignore .DS_Store files (which are specific to OS X).
I know that I used the standard svn commands, straight from the SVN
book...but I can't figure out how to list the fact that these are
ignored. 'svn pl' doesn't return anything interesting, neither do any of
the variations.  I even went so far as to write a shell script that
loops through all of the revisions listing all of the properties (both
versioned and unversioned), but even that didn't return anything, and I
finally grepped through EVERYTHING, but even that didn't return
anything.  So I'm stumped; where is it stored, and how do I list what is
set to be ignored???

Thanks,
Cem Karan

Re: stumped by where svn:ignore is stored...

Posted by François Beausoleil <fb...@ftml.net>.

On 14/12/2004 14:29, Karan, Cem (Civ, ARL/CISD) wrote:
> I have a fairly odd question.  I setup my repository (or is it the
> working copy?) to ignore .DS_Store files (which are specific to OS X).
> I know that I used the standard svn commands, straight from the SVN
> book...but I can't figure out how to list the fact that these are
> ignored. 'svn pl' doesn't return anything interesting, neither do any of
> the variations.  I even went so far as to write a shell script that
> loops through all of the revisions listing all of the properties (both
> versioned and unversioned), but even that didn't return anything, and I
> finally grepped through EVERYTHING, but even that didn't return
> anything.  So I'm stumped; where is it stored, and how do I list what is
> set to be ignored???

Had you seen svn proplist --verbose ?  That will also list property
contents.  svn propget svn:ignore TARGET will also do it for you.

Now, you might want to check ~/.subversion to see if your configuration
has a default exclude with .DS_Store in it.  That might be the case...

Now, as to the question of where is svn:ignore stored ?  Well, you
/assign/ the property to a folder/directory object, and it ignores it's
patterns in the immediate folder.

So, given the followin tree:
/wc
   file.c
   file.o
   /lib
     file.c
     file.o

If I do:
svn propset svn:ignore "*.o" /wc

/wc/file.o will be ignored, but not /wc/lib/file.o.

Hope that helps !
François