Posted to ojb-dev@db.apache.org by Thomas Mahler <th...@web.de> on 2004/03/26 07:50:12 UTC

approaching 1.0

hi all,

first the good news: we have made a lot of progress for a final 1.0 release.

the bad news is that there are still some hurdles.
1. To get an approval for the 1.0 release from the db.apache.org pmc we
are requsted to have at least 3 committers on the pmc board.
Currently only Armin and myself are on the PMC.
So we we need at least one more committer on the PMC.
If YOU would like to volunteer  please contact me.

2. We should change the the copyright notice from
"Copyright  2004 The Apache Software Foundation"
to "Copyright  2002-2004 The Apache Software Foundation"
for all files.
If there are packages that we know to be from 2003 or 2004 we should
change the notice for those files accordingly.
It's too much work to do the check on a per file basis.

The copyright notice should also be placed in non-java files like xml
xdocs and properties files.

3. So again we won't be able to deliver a complete release this weekend.
Armin proposed to provide another RC6 release instead.
I'd love to bring out 1.0 instead yet another RC.
But under the given circumstances I assume that the best thing will be
to release another interims RC6 this weekend.

If no one objects, I'll do this on sunday.

cheers,
Thomas

Re: approaching 1.0

Posted by Brian McCallister <mc...@forthillcompany.com>.
On Mar 26, 2004, at 1:50 AM, Thomas Mahler wrote:

> But under the given circumstances I assume that the best thing will be
> to release another interims RC6 this weekend.

+1 and hopefully we can retag RC6 to OJB_1_0 in the near future =)

-Brian

Re: approaching 1.0

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Thomas Mahler dijo:
> Thomas Dudziak wrote:
>> What is the benefit of this if 1.0 is to come out soon (e.g. April) ?
>
> I'm also not sure if it will have any real benefits. So what do others
> think about this?

Hi:

RC6 will be fine and we can make the final 1.0 soon (lets say 2 weeks
after the RC6) is no a big bug is discovered. The initial 1.0 release has
been requested by many people. It is percieved for many people as the 1st
usuable release of OJB. I think it will have a very good impresion after
all.

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: approaching 1.0

Posted by Thomas Mahler <th...@web.de>.
Hi Tom,

Thomas Dudziak wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, Thomas Mahler wrote:
>

>>hi all,
>>
>>first the good news: we have made a lot of progress for a final 1.0 release.
>>
>>the bad news is that there are still some hurdles.
>>1. To get an approval for the 1.0 release from the db.apache.org pmc we
>>are requsted to have at least 3 committers on the pmc board.
>>Currently only Armin and myself are on the PMC.
>>So we we need at least one more committer on the PMC.
>>If YOU would like to volunteer  please contact me.
>

> I'd be willing to help. But what actually does being a PMC member entail ?

really not that much. The only thing that I do is to read some mails
addressed to the PMC members (1 or 2 per month).
On some even more rare ocassion I do a vote on some [vote] emails.
So it won't be any noticeable additional work.

>>2. We should change the the copyright notice from
>>"Copyright  2004 The Apache Software Foundation"
>>to "Copyright  2002-2004 The Apache Software Foundation"
>>for all files.
>>If there are packages that we know to be from 2003 or 2004 we should
>>change the notice for those files accordingly.
>>It's too much work to do the check on a per file basis.
>

> The complete XDoclet module is (c) 2003, and the db handling stuff is
> (c) 2004. Likewise I believe that the OTM is (c) 2003/2004.
>

>>The copyright notice should also be placed in non-java files like xml
>>xdocs and properties files.
>>
>>3. So again we won't be able to deliver a complete release this weekend.
>>Armin proposed to provide another RC6 release instead.
>>I'd love to bring out 1.0 instead yet another RC.
>>But under the given circumstances I assume that the best thing will be
>>to release another interims RC6 this weekend.
>

> What is the benefit of this if 1.0 is to come out soon (e.g. April) ?

I'm also not sure if it will have any real benefits. So what do others
think about this?

--Thomas

Re: approaching 1.0

Posted by Thomas Dudziak <to...@first.gmd.de>.