Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Ross Gardler <ro...@gardler.org> on 2005/06/10 11:02:52 UTC

Versioned Plugins

Please note that the Plugin system has been upgraded to allow versioned
plugins.

You need to do a couple of things with your plugin:

a) add some properties to your build file (see any of the Forrest
plugins for an example).

b) make at least two versions available, the first is a versioned copy
with the name PLUGIN_NAME-VERSION_NUMBER.zip, this should appear in a
subdirectory with the name of the Forrest version number that your
plugin has been tested in. Secondly, you should make an unversioned copy
of the plugin available. This will always be the latest version, and may
be a development release. This version is used as a fallback if no other
suitable plugin can be found (or it can be specified if people like to
live on the cutting edge).

For example, if version 0.1 of your plugin is tested in 0.7 and 0.8
versions of Forrest and 0.2-dev is tested only in 0.8 then you should
should have a download site with:

PLUGIN.zip (this is version 0.2-dev, the latest version published)

0.7/PLUGIN-0.1.zip

0.8/PLUGIN-0.1.zip
0.8/PLUGIN-0.2-dev.zip

NOTE that this need to duplicate plugin versions across directories will
be removed in a future version of Forrest.

For those using the deploy target of the build scripts this directory
structure will be built automatically for you.

Ross

Re: Versioned Plugins

Posted by Ron Blaschke <ma...@rblasch.org>.
Monday, June 13, 2005, 5:33:36 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> Ron Blaschke wrote:
>> Sunday, June 12, 2005, 11:38:26 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:

>>>Yes, I should have spotted that when I applied your patch. It will
>>>actually break the install of your plugin.
>>
>> I'm sorry to cause inconvenience, but would you please be so kind and
>> correct it for me?

> Yes, of course, I should have said "I will do that" in the original reply.

Thanks a lot!

Ron

Re: Versioned Plugins

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Re: Versioned Plugins

Posted by Ron Blaschke <ma...@rblasch.org>.
Sunday, June 12, 2005, 11:38:26 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> Ron Blaschke wrote:

>> I've taken a look at the plugins.xml, and the pod-input entry's URL
>> refers directly to the ZIP, i.e.
>>
>> url="http://www.rblasch.org/projects/pod-input/org.rblasch.forrest.plugin.input.pod.zip"
>>
>> I am wondering if I made a mistake, and the URL should refer to the
>> directory only, like the others do, i.e.
>>
>>     url="http://www.rblasch.org/projects/pod-input/"

> Yes, I should have spotted that when I applied your patch. It will
> actually break the install of your plugin.

I'm sorry to cause inconvenience, but would you please be so kind and
correct it for me?

Thanks,
Ron

Re: Versioned Plugins

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Re: Versioned Plugins

Posted by Ron Blaschke <ma...@rblasch.org>.
Saturday, June 11, 2005, 1:44:39 PM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> Ron Blaschke wrote:
>> Friday, June 10, 2005, 11:02:52 AM, Ross Gardler wrote:
>>
>>>Please note that the Plugin system has been upgraded to allow versioned
>>>plugins.
>>
>> I'll upgrade the pod-input plugin as soon as I find time for it, which
>> should be some time next week.

> No rush, the changes are backward compatible since it will fall back to
> the unversioned plugin if no versioned one is available.

That's good.

I've taken a look at the plugins.xml, and the pod-input entry's URL
refers directly to the ZIP, i.e.

    url="http://www.rblasch.org/projects/pod-input/org.rblasch.forrest.plugin.input.pod.zip"

I am wondering if I made a mistake, and the URL should refer to the
directory only, like the others do, i.e.

    url="http://www.rblasch.org/projects/pod-input/"

Any help is highly appreciated.

Ron

Re: Versioned Plugins