Posted to user@thrift.apache.org by Johan Stuyts <j....@zybber.nl> on 2008/06/05 16:03:37 UTC

Re: [thrift] Thrift newbie..... where do i start.....

Hi Pratyush,

First, this list will be closed in the future. The list for these kind of
questions is the Thrift user list at Apache (incubator). You can join this
list by sending an e-mail with subject 'subscribe' (without the quotes) to:
thrift-user-request@incubator.apache.org

> Is there any documentation to start with, i.e. if i wanted to create a?
> JAVA interface to hypertable APIs. Since i have never used this before i
> just want to know where to start.
> Also if anybody could tell me the basic steps i need to follow in order
> to do the job it would be of great help.

There is not much documentation yet. But to get started you will need the
following information:
- the Thrift file containing the definition of the structures, services,
etc. of hypertable
- the details about the transport and protocol used by hypertable:
   - transport: which port is used?
   - transport: is it a raw TCP socket or over HTTP?
   - protocol: is the binary, JSON or maybe a custom serialization protocol
used?

Once you have this information you can use the Thrift compiler to generate
Java classes for you. Run the compiler without arguments to get help:
   <path to compiler>/thrift -gen java:beans

After generating the Java classes you can add them to your project. Use
the classes in the Thrift Java libary to setup a connection over which the
generated classes will communicate. For an example see the sources of the
test classes in 'test/java'. You can check out the source code from:
   http://svn.facebook.com/svnroot/thrift/trunk

--
Kind regards,

Johan Stuyts

Re: [thrift] Thrift newbie..... where do i start.....

Posted by Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>.
Does Hypertable have a Thrift interface already? If it doesn't you'll
need to code the interface spec yourself and then write the code to
translate from the Thrift API calls to whatever internal calls
Hypertable uses. In HBase we implemented this as a layer outside the
regular services for the sake of simplicity. That is, there's a
separate Thrift server that run as a gateway for HBase client requests.

(Incidentally, what in particular was wrong with HBase that you're
headed to the Hypertable camp? Do we already know about it on the
HBase list?)

-Bryan