Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Eya Badal <ey...@apache.org> on 2022/01/06 02:15:18 UTC

[VOTE] Graduate Apache AGE (Incubating) as a Top Level Project

Dear Incubator Community,

Having passed the Community Graduation Vote [1] by the AGE community with a vote result to graduate the incubation [2], we have discussed Apache AGE's graduation in the general@incubator [DISCUSS] thread [3].

Here is the official request to vote to graduate the Apache AGE project as a
Top Level Project.

Please provide your vote as one of the following options:

[ ] +1 - Recommend graduation of Apache AGE as a Top Level
[ ] 0   - I don't feel strongly about it, but don't object
[ ] -1  - Do not recommend the graduation of Apache AGE because …

The VOTE will remain open for at least 72 hours.

In addition to building and releasing software the Apache way, the AGE
project community has grown in the following areas:

- Close to 900 commits
- 4 new committers and 1 expected to accept the invitation
- 3 new PPMC from 3 different companies/institutions
- Gathered > 500 GitHub stars
- 4 Apache releases (0.3.0, 0.4.0, 0.5.0, 0.6.0) [4]
- 6 mentors, 8 PPMC members (mentors excluded), and 2 committers (mentors
and PPMC members excluded)
- Contributions span more than 20 countries across the globe including
Australia, Belarus, Belgium, China, France, Germany, Ireland, Israel,
Italy, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Nigeria, The Philippines, Russia, South
Korea, Thailand, UK, Ukraine, USA and Vietnam
- Developed and maintained Apache AGE website [5]
- Created and automated documentation to support multiple versions of
AGE. [6]
- Developer conversations at dev@age.apache.org
- Assessed ourselves against the Apache Project maturity matrix [7] and
didn't find any issues

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread/q2cgbnhvpzk2k0m8yfh89lzc75qym9k9
[2] https://lists.apache.org/thread/lr3x9bm8jyv6o5kvyh7cf3tyxrpp2kwm
[3] https://lists.apache.org/thread/jvrtvcw1zb8gf286css7tvol94r3qd68
[4] Release notes at Apache AGE website <https://age.apache.org/> under the
Releases menu.
[5] https://age.apache.org/
[6] Documentation at Apache AGE website <https://age.apache.org/> under the
Documentation menu.
[7] Apache Project maturity matrix at Apache AGE website
<https://age.apache.org/> under the COMMUNITY menu.

Establish the Apache AGE Project

WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests of
the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's purpose to establish
a Project Management Committee charged with the creation and maintenance
of open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the public,
related to implementing openCypher Graph query processing engine on
PostgreSQL, one of the most advanced open source relational database
management systems.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee
(PMC), to be known as the "Apache AGE Project", be and hereby is
established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache AGE Project be and hereby is responsible for
the creation and maintenance of software related to implementing
openCypher Graph query processing engine on PostgreSQL, one of the most
advanced open source relational database management systems; and be it
further

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache AGE" be and hereby
is created, the person holding such office to serve at the direction of
the Board of Directors as the chair of the Apache AGE Project, and to
have primary responsibility for management of the projects within the
scope of responsibility of the Apache AGE Project; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby are
appointed to serve as the initial members of the Apache AGE Project:

 * Dehowe Feng         <de...@apache.org>
 * Eya Badal           <ey...@apache.org>
 * Felix Cheung        <fe...@apache.org>
 * Jasper Blues        <ja...@apache.org>
 * John Gemignani      <jg...@apache.org>
 * Josh Innis          <jo...@apache.org>
 * Juan Pan            <pa...@apache.org>
 * Kevin Ratnasekera   <dj...@apache.org>
 * Mason Sharp         <ma...@apache.org>
 * Nick Sorrell        <so...@apache.org>
 * Pieterjan De Potter <pd...@apache.org>
 * Raphael Bircher     <rb...@apache.org>
 * Suneel Marthi       <sm...@apache.org>
 * Von Gosling         <vo...@apache.org>

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Eya Badal be appointed to
the office of Vice President, Apache AGE, to serve in accordance with
and subject to the direction of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws of
the Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal or
disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache AGE Project be and hereby is tasked with the
migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator AGE podling; and
be it further

RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache Incubator
AGE podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator PMC are hereafter
discharged.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Eya on behalf of the Apache AGE (incubating) community

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache AGE (Incubating) as a Top Level Project

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

I’m -1 on this as I think there are still some minor outstanding issues and I think the project needs a little more time to work those out. For instance, I’d like to see a discussion on the committer bar and have that clearly documented on your website. But I’m willing to hear from the projects mentors, and will change my vote, if they think the project is ready graduate.

Kind Regards,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache AGE (Incubating) as a Top Level Project

Posted by Eya Badal <ey...@apache.org>.
> Currently Jasper Blues, Nick Sorrell and Pieterjan De Potter are not subscribed. (Also Raphael Bircher and Mason Sharp).

Jasper Blues, Nick Sorrell, and Pieterjan De Potter are subscribed now.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Eya Badal <ey...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

Thank you for your feedback.

We recently added two new members to our PPMC(Pieterjan De Potter and Nick Sorrell). I believe they are subscribed to @private, but as Sebb mentioned, some PPMC members might have used an email that is not recognized by LDAP. I already reached out to them and asked them to double check.

> b) Have not taken part in discussions on the mailing list (that I can find)
We removed Mason Sharp(inactive PPMC) and the two mentors (retired and inactive) as initial members of the Apache AGE Project from the resolution.

Please following find the new resolution:

[...]

Best regards,
Eya

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 6 Jan 2022 at 22:58, Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi -
>
> Have a look at https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/ppmc/age and see that 4 PPMC members are not subscribed to private.
>
> Also there are two of your mentors who are not subscribed. Those two probably have not done anything for the AGE podling.

There are also two unrecognised email addresses subscribed to the private list.
These could well belong to existing PPMC members.
If so, please ask them to add them to their LDAP records using Whimsy:
Goto https://whimsy.apache.org/roster/committer/__self__ and add to
the 'Email addresses (alt)' field

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
Hi -

Posted by Felix Cheung <fe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 13 Jan 2022 at 23:37, Eya Badal <ey...@apache.org> wrote:

> Dear everyone,
>
> We are closing this vote, for now, to address and fix the feedbacks that we received for Apache AGE TLP graduation. We will reopen the vote once we address all the feedback.

Just noticed that the mailing lists only have one moderator each (the
same person).

Remember that moderation requests expire after a few days so it is
important to have several moderators to provide proper coverage for
absences. Generally a minimum of 3 is recommended.

Posted by Eya Badal <ey...@apache.org>.
Dear everyone,