Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Joachim Zobel <jz...@heute-morgen.de> on 2006/11/11 00:01:48 UTC

Are you shure about this?

Hi.

To my surprise several people just expressed the opinion that LUA should
be part of the apache core in the long run. Could you explain for what
purposes you want to do  this? Writing apache modules?

Also I would actually like to have a scripting language (for DOM
manipultion in the libxml2 wrapper I am doing) for my purposes too, it
somehow "feels wrong".

Sincerely,
Joachim

Re: Are you shure about this?

Posted by Joachim Zobel <jz...@heute-morgen.de>.
Am Freitag, den 10.11.2006, 15:34 -0800 schrieb Paul Querna:
> Joachim Zobel wrote:
> > Writing apache modules?
>
> Nope. Right in the core.  I would suspect it will work best as a 'logic'
> control type thing, driving how a request is handled, and handling
> complex configuration logic.

So you want a higher level language because doing said things in C is no
fun. You could have moved those parts to C++ years ago. But the higher
level feature I have missed most (besides reasonable string handling)
when doing apache modules in C is the ability to dynamically create
functions. Thats the point, right?

Sincerely,
Joachim

Re: Are you shure about this?

Posted by Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>.
Paul Querna wrote:
>> To my surprise several people just expressed the opinion that LUA should
>> be part of the apache core in the long run. Could you explain for what
>> purposes you want to do  this?
>
> Because its fun.

Do you know where to find LUA developer resources?
One thing I could never find for years was CVS or SVN.
I might be looking at the wrong places. Does something
like that exist?

Regards,
Mladen.

Re: Are you shure about this?

Posted by Paul Querna <ch...@force-elite.com>.
Joachim Zobel wrote:
> Hi.
>
> To my surprise several people just expressed the opinion that LUA should
> be part of the apache core in the long run. Could you explain for what
> purposes you want to do  this?

Because its fun.

> Writing apache modules?

Nope. Right in the core.  I would suspect it will work best as a 'logic'
control type thing, driving how a request is handled, and handling
complex configuration logic.

-Paul