Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by David McNelis <dm...@agentisenergy.com> on 2011/08/11 17:56:13 UTC

Running cassandra on a Blades + SAN

Hey folks,

I was wondering if anyone has a cassandra cluster running on a server setup
using blades, with a SAN appliance as the data file storage medium.

I would expect that there would be performance  let-downs  if the SAN was
connected with anything other than a fiber channel, but are there other
drawbacks?  Imagine a system with something along the lines of 12 600G 10k
SAS drives in a single SAN, with a bunch of dual proc, quad core blades as
the hosts.  I would think that we'd have the commitlog live on the blade's
internal drives would allow us to write data with sufficient throughput.

Anyone have any thoughts on a Blade v. Rackable solution for spinning up a
cassandra cluster?

--
*David McNelis*
Lead Software Engineer

*A Smart Grid technology company focused on helping consumers of energy
control an often under-managed resource.*

Re: Running cassandra on a Blades + SAN

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
The SAN model defeats some of the point of using Cassandra, but a
"hybrid" of commitlog-local would be better than "everything on san."

http://cassandra-user-incubator-apache-org.3065146.n2.nabble.com/Cassandra-on-iSCSI-td5945217.html
is a good thread for background.

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 8:56 AM, David McNelis
<dm...@agentisenergy.com> wrote:
> Hey folks,
> I was wondering if anyone has a cassandra cluster running on a server setup
> using blades, with a SAN appliance as the data file storage medium.
> I would expect that there would be performance  let-downs  if the SAN was
> connected with anything other than a fiber channel, but are there other
> drawbacks?  Imagine a system with something along the lines of 12 600G 10k
> SAS drives in a single SAN, with a bunch of dual proc, quad core blades as
> the hosts.  I would think that we'd have the commitlog live on the blade's
> internal drives would allow us to write data with sufficient throughput.
> Anyone have any thoughts on a Blade v. Rackable solution for spinning up a
> cassandra cluster?
>
> --
> David McNelis
> Lead Software Engineer
> Agentis Energy
> www.agentisenergy.com
> o: 630.359.6395
> c: 219.384.5143
> A Smart Grid technology company focused on helping consumers of energy
> control an often under-managed resource.

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra