Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Dan Poirier <po...@pobox.com> on 2010/07/19 19:21:58 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: what is importance of DocumentRoot

Try it and see.

Re: [users@httpd] Re: what is importance of DocumentRoot

Posted by Frank Gingras <fr...@gmail.com>.
On 19/07/2010 2:01 PM, James Godrej wrote:
> I dont think making fun of some one on mailing like this is appropriate if a
> question is coming there definitely must be some problem.
> I am seeing the list and from the questions I can see that there is a problem
> which he is facing and he is trying to explore that.
>

> ________________________________
> From: Frank Gingras<fr...@gmail.com>
>
> Tapas,
>
> Have you considered hiring a contractor for this project?

James,

That was not the intent, but merely a possible solution to resolve his
issues faster.

Honestly, I don't know what the problem is, based on his initial
questions. Perhaps Tapas could try tro clarify them instead.

Frank.

Re: [users@httpd] Re: what is importance of DocumentRoot

From: Frank Gingras <fr...@gmail.com>

Tapas,

Posted by Frank Gingras <fr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Doug McNutt <do...@macnauchtan.com>.
At 23:23 +0530 7/19/10, Tapas Mishra wrote:
>On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 10:51 PM, Dan Poirier <po...@pobox.com> wrote:
>> Try it and see.
>What do I try and what do I see can you be a bit more specific.
>I have developed websites and used Apache to host cloud applications.

Programming by experimentation is one of the things that makes for incompatible code. Apache is not proprietary software and it shouldn't be a requirement.

 a request for http://www.myexample.com/site/css/some.css will be treated by the domain name server system as

machine www
at domain  myexample.com  which has a unique IP address as a number stored in .com.

When Apache gets the HTTP request it will look up the DOCUMENT_ROOT specified by the user whose instance of Apache  is running. The page to be served will be identified by effectively changing the working directory to DOCUMENT_ROOT after which the site/css/some.css  file will be delivered.

/var/www//site/css/some.css

is misleading because of the doubled up slashes. Such things can have special meaning such as returning to the system root before processing what follows. It's likely that an unprivileged user like wwwuser will not be allowed to do that. Was the // a typo?

The whole bit of declaring variables like DOCUMENT_ROOT with and without a leading slash and ending URL's with a slash when you want a directory listing remains a bit enigmatic. Following the leads in a .config file is best. In an scp operation intended to deliver a document to your space on the server the // construct can be useful.

And. . .

I'm no expert. Please change anything that's wrong for the rest of us.

--

--> A fair tax is one that you pay but I don't <--

Re: [users@httpd] Re: what is importance of DocumentRoot

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Tapas Mishra <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What do I try and what do I see can you be a bit more specific.

Apparently a) nothing and b) even less.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com