Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com> on 2009/03/12 06:04:20 UTC

Maven Meetup @ Sonatype on March 19th & 20th

Hi,

For those interested in knowing what Sonatype is working on in the
Maven community, we're having a Maven Meetup the week before
EclipseCon in Mountain View.

It's a full day of presentations on Maven and related technologies
like m2eclipse, Nexus, Tycho, Hudson, NMaven, NAR, FlexMojos and
more.  That will be followed up by a full day hackathon.

You can see the full description here:

http://www.sonatype.com/people/2009/03/sonatype-maven-meetup-on-march-19th-20th/

And you can signup to attend here:

https://docs.sonatype.org/display/COMM/Maven+Meetup+on+March+19th+and+20th+at+Sonatype

We are syncing up with the Hippo folks who are putting on the Maven
Meetup in Amsterdam (unfortunately the conference organizers didn't
notice that EclipseCon and ApacheCon are in the same week) as none of
the Sonatype folks can attend ApacheCon. We are planning to record all
the sessions on the 19th and so they should be available for everyone
at ApacheCon.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

the course of true love never did run smooth ...

  -- Shakespeare

RE: Maven Meetup @ Sonatype on March 19th & 20th

Posted by Jason Chaffee <ja...@zilliontv.tv>.
Hi Jason,

I saw the "Maven 3.0: The Maven you will love" write-up and it is very good to see that many of the issues we discussed recently are going to be addressed in Maven 3.0.  I think you already know where I stand on the Guice vs. plexus thing.

I have one question and one suggestion.  My question is whether or not java 1.5 and generics will be leveraged in 3.0?  IMO, I think a lot of maven code and api's could be more clear with them.

While maven internals might use Guice/plexus or whatever DI container you guys choose, I might throw out a suggestion for plugin creation to find a way to allow developers use whatever DI container of their choosing.  I suggest this because I think if you give developers this kind of choice and flexibility in using their own DI container, you will see more people willing to development useful maven plugins.  I might be wrong about this, but I know a couple of people personally that avoid writing maven-plugins like the plague because they don't like plexus and the current way of doing it and I am not talking about me.  :))

I have seen that some people really like to use one and only container.  Personally, I like Guice, Spring, and PicoContainer and I am fine with any of them.  However, I have seen some developers that refuse to use any other container than the one they use for everyday development.

However, I will say that I feel this is a minor issue compared to all of the other things you are already planning on addressing in 3.0.

I am anxiously awaiting a 3.0 build that includes mercury.  :)

Regards,

Jason

On 11-Mar-09, at 11:00 PM, Rahul Thakur wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> Any chance if these session recordings will be available to the
> wider community after EclipseCon, ApacheCon?

They'll all be publicly available.

> Thanks,
>
> Rahul
>

> On 12/03/2009 10:34 a.m., Jason van Zyl wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> For those interested in knowing what Sonatype is working on in the
>> Maven community, we're having a Maven Meetup the week before
>> EclipseCon in Mountain View.
>>
>> It's a full day of presentations on Maven and related technologies
>> like m2eclipse, Nexus, Tycho, Hudson, NMaven, NAR, FlexMojos and
>> more.  That will be followed up by a full day hackathon.
>>
>> You can see the full description here:
>>
>> http://www.sonatype.com/people/2009/03/sonatype-maven-meetup-on-march-19th-20th/
>>
>> And you can signup to attend here:
>>
>> https://docs.sonatype.org/display/COMM/Maven+Meetup+on+March+19th+and+20th+at+Sonatype
>>
>> We are syncing up with the Hippo folks who are putting on the Maven
>> Meetup in Amsterdam (unfortunately the conference organizers didn't
>> notice that EclipseCon and ApacheCon are in the same week) as none
>> of the Sonatype folks can attend ApacheCon. We are planning to
>> record all the sessions on the 19th and so they should be available
>> for everyone at ApacheCon.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>>
>> the course of true love never did run smooth ...
>>
>> -- Shakespeare

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

What matters is not ideas, but the people who have them. Good people
can fix bad ideas, but good ideas can't save bad people.

  -- Paul Graham

Re: Maven Meetup @ Sonatype on March 19th & 20th

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.

Posted by Rahul Thakur <ra...@gmail.com>.