Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> on 2016/03/19 08:20:36 UTC

[VOTE] The 1st HBase 0.98.18 release candidate (RC0) is available

The 1st HBase 0.98.18 release candidate (RC0) is available for download at
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/hbase/hbase-0.98.18RC0/ and Maven
artifacts are also available in the temporary repository
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehbase-1132/ .

The detailed source and binary compatibility report for this release with
respect to the previous is available for your review at
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/hbase/hbase-0.98.18RC0/0.98.17_0.98.18RC0_compat_report.html​​
. There are no reported problems or warnings.

The 46 issues resolved in this release can be found at
https://s.apache.org/cOY3 .

I have made the following preliminary assessments of this candidate:
- Build with source artifact with RAT and enforcers enabled (-Prelease)
completes successfully
- Unit test suite passes (7u79)
- Loaded 1M rows with LTT, no errors or unexpected messages observed, all
keys verified, latencies within expected range.
- Loaded 10M rows with PE (randomWrite, 10 threads) while concurrently
reading (randomRead, 10 threads), no errors or unexpected messages
observed, reported latencies within expected range.
- Built and ran unit tests with head of Apache Phoenix 4.x-HBase-0.98
branch, all pass (7u79)
- Poked around the UI, seems ok

Signed with my code signing key 4B6D7DF3.

​Please try out the candidate and vote +1/0/-1. This vote will be open for
at least 72 hours. Unless objection I will try to close it Friday March 25,
2016 if we have sufficient votes. Three +1 votes from PMC will be required
to release.​

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: [VOTE] The 1st HBase 0.98.18 release candidate (RC0) is available

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
I am also +1.

Between the earlier assessment and now I ran 20 iterations of the unit test
suite with 7u79 and 8u60, all passed.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: [VOTE] The 1st HBase 0.98.18 release candidate (RC0) is available

Posted by la...@apache.org.
+1
- built from source- tested with latest Phoenix 4.x-0.98 code- locally loaded 100m rows (400m Cells)- briefly tested for perf and correctness.- nothing undue in the logs
-- Lars

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.
+1

* checked signatures / sums[1]
* spot checked LICENSE/NOTICE
* spot checked file header compliance using apache-rat plugin on clean
source unpack
* build from source[2]
* source matches commit c26c554ab3a8deecf890873bf6b1b4c90fa001dc
(which a tag named 0.98.18RC0 points to)

[1]: ASF policy requires that each file hosted in the project dist
space have a file with _just_ the MD5 sum in a file named after the
original with ".md5" as a suffix. (Having an additional file with all
the checksums is a good practice, IMO.) AFAICT we haven't been doing
this in the 0.98, 1.0, or 1.1 lines, so I don't want to hold up this
vote for it. I think we can just fix in the future and retroactively
make appropriate files for old releases from the MD5 contained in the
mds files.

relevant policy:
http://www.apache.org/dev/release-distribution.html#sigs-and-sums

[2]: I had a couple of test failures in mvn verify, but they were of
the "waiting for hbase to start" variety.