Posted to dev@plc4x.apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2020/04/03 13:42:46 UTC

[DISCUSS] Rename PLC4DOTNET to PLC4CSHARP?

Hi,

I just wanted to bring this to discussion … I have now encountered in several projects that support different languages that the naming convention we follow seems to match:

  *   C : xyz_c
  *   C++: xyz_cpp
  *   Python: xyz_py

However when it comes to C# we sort of named it “plc4dotnet” … I would propose to change it to “plc4csharp” as this is the language … “dotnet” is sort of more the runtime.

What do you think?

Chris

Re: [DISCUSS] Rename PLC4DOTNET to PLC4CSHARP?

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Good points ....

Am 03.04.20, 16:12 schrieb "Bjoern Hoeper" <ho...@ltsoft.de>:

    Hi,

    in my opinion the runtime is the more relevant thing in this context because if you take a .NET Lib you could use it with VB or F# or any other language that is compatible with the .NET Runtime. So the language is only the language in which it is written (which could also be intermixed). Furthermore it is quite common to use something like NET e.g. log4j had an equivalent of log4net.

    Björn

Posted by Julian Feinauer <j....@pragmaticminds.de>.
Hi,

F# and VB.Net both are crazy indeed : )
But, I agree with Björn I would prefer to keep it as .NET (DOTNET).

Julian

Am 03.04.20, 16:34 schrieb "Bjoern Hoeper" <ho...@ltsoft.de>:

    Some people are masochistic... ;)
    Joking aside I think the more relevant option is F# which could be a good match for some use cases

Re: AW: [DISCUSS] Rename PLC4DOTNET to PLC4CSHARP?

Posted by Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org>.
Why not DOTNOT? :-)

Cheers,
Łukasz