Posted to dev@predictionio.apache.org by Naoki Takezoe <ta...@gmail.com> on 2018/09/30 22:21:48 UTC

JDBC drivers and Spark with the binary distribution

Hi devs,

Currently, PredictionIO provides a source code distribution and a
binary distribution. The binary distribution is same as a package
which made by ./make-distribution.sh from the source binary with
default configuration. So we need to install JDBC drivers or Apache
Spark additionally even with the binary distribution.

I wonder if JDBC drivers and Apache Spark distributions can be
included in the binary release. For example, Since Apache Zeppelin
bundles Apache Spark, we can start to use Spark on Zeppelin
out-of-the-box.

Of course, Spark is ASL and PostgreSQL JDBC driver is BSL license (PIO
already includes another BSL libraries), and we can bundle MariaDB
driver instead of MySQL driver. So I think there isn't a licence
related problem. Is there any other reason we can't bundle them?

--
Naoki Takezoe

Re: JDBC drivers and Spark with the binary distribution

Posted by Naoki Takezoe <ta...@gmail.com>.
> I think we can bundle PostgreSQL's JDBC driver because it is under BSD
> 2-clause license, but MariaDB's JDBC driver is under LGPL 2.1 and is not
> compatible with Apache. See
> https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-x.

Oh, I see. Thanks for the information.

Re: JDBC drivers and Spark with the binary distribution

Posted by Donald Szeto <do...@apache.org>.

Posted by Naoki Takezoe <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by takako shimamoto <ch...@gmail.com>.