Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Russell Butek <bu...@us.ibm.com> on 2002/03/07 22:05:36 UTC

AXIS beta 1 release candidate!

The candidate for our beta 1 is available:
http://xml.apache.org/dist/axis/beta1-rc1/  (thanks for the help, Sam).
PLEASE play with this!  During next Tuesday's chat meeting (March 12) we
will decide whether we're in a good enough state to release the official
beta.

I built the candidate with:
ant 1.4.1
Xerces-J 2.0.1
junit 3.7
Tomcat 4.0.3

The documentation needs a lot of refreshing.  That'll be my concentration
for the next few days.  I'll take ownership of the user's guide.  We could
use volunteers to go over everything else!

Russell Butek
butek@us.ibm.com

bean hierarchies and complex types

Posted by robert woodley <am...@yahoo.com>.
I feel like I'm missing something here.

On my server, I have a hierarchy of beans. The client
will call one method (which will go over SOAP to the
server) and get the whole hierarchy as the return
value. Some of the beans will have methods that will
in turn invoke SOAP calls back to the server. But I
don't want the bean getter & setter methods to go back
to the server, I want them to work on the local,
client-side bean instances that I received from the
first call. I should clarify that I want to use
WSDL2Java to generate my stubs, because obviously I
could hand-roll my solution to the above.

Right now the stubs that WSDL2Java generates make
remote SOAP calls on the getter and setter methods. I
guess I could define some complex types and then write
my own serializer and deserializer code, but then I
think: why am I writing serializers and deserializers
for beans, which are supposed to serialize for free???

So I guess I'm really raising 2 issues:
- how can I work with a bean hierarchy client-side,
and use WSDL2Java, but NOT define custom types and NOT
write my own serializers?
- how does one go about mixing remote SOAP methods
with Bean getter/setter methods and still get
WSDL2Java to generate all the stubs nicely.

Any tips, clarications, code samples, etc gratefully
accepted.

Thank you,
Bob Woodley

http://mail.yahoo.com/

Re: WSDL2Java problems with .NET WSDL

Posted by James Yegerlehner <ja...@kamiak.com>.
dims-

> Need Help!!! Am having problems using WSDL2Java with the following WSDL's:
> - http://www.dotnetjunkies.net/services/ContentServices.asmx?WSDL
[...]
> Looks like the schema is specified in the SOAP Response and not in the
> WSDL itself.

Exactly!

Regarding this bit from your WSDL:

<s:element name="GetNewsSummaryResult" maxOccurs="1" minOccurs="0">
<s:complexType>
<s:sequence>
<s:element ref="s:schema"/>
<s:any/>
</s:sequence>
</s:complexType>
</s:element>

The "ref="s:schema"" is telling us that the message part will contain an XML
schema, and the "s:any" is a wildcard telling us that any XML can go there;
presumably it will be an instance document matching the schema.

Re: WSDL2Java problems with .NET WSDL

Posted by James Yegerlehner <ja...@kamiak.com>.
dims-

> Need Help!!! Am having problems using WSDL2Java with the following WSDL's:
> - http://www.dotnetjunkies.net/services/ContentServices.asmx?WSDL
[...]
> Looks like the schema is specified in the SOAP Response and not in the
> WSDL itself.

Exactly!

Regarding this bit from your WSDL:

<s:element name="GetNewsSummaryResult" maxOccurs="1" minOccurs="0">
<s:complexType>
<s:sequence>
<s:element ref="s:schema"/>
<s:any/>
</s:sequence>
</s:complexType>
</s:element>

The "ref="s:schema"" is telling us that the message part will contain an XML
schema, and the "s:any" is a wildcard telling us that any XML can go there;
presumably it will be an instance document matching the schema.

>From what I've seen this is what you get whenever you use an ADO.NET
DataSet. It's rather brilliant that ADO.NET can defer processing metadata
until runtime, but it defeats the purpose of WSDL (IMO) which is to describe
the structure of the data before compile time. You already apprehended this,
but just to be explicit: the problem is that the information describing the
structure of the data that your web service uses simply isn't in the WSDL.
There's nothing WSDL2Java can do about that. If you want to use such a web
service from any non-ADO.NET-capable platform, I think you have to resign
yourself to writing the code that parses the messages.

I've not gotten all that deep into ADO.NET; conceivably there's some way to
force it to describe the structure of the DataSet in the WSDL. But I haven't
found it; can anyone correct me?

This is one of the reasons that I think it's better to use WSDL like IDL.
That is, define the interfaces to your web service first, and strongly-type
it using schema that define the types you use, and then generate the service
skeleton automatically from that. We wrote a whitepaper on this here:

http://www.omniopera.com/omniopera_whitepaper.html

and here's a step-by-step on how you automatically create a .NET web service
skeleton from WSDL:

http://www.omniopera.com/HowDoISimpleServiceMSDotNet.html

Regards,
James Yegerlehner
Omniopera: XML Schema and WSDL Authoring Software
http://www.omniopera.com

> Need Help!!! Am having problems using WSDL2Java with the following WSDL's:
> - http://www.dotnetjunkies.net/services/ContentServices.asmx?WSDL
> - http://www.dotnetjunkies.net/services/TrivialFunTools.asmx?WSDL
>
> Looks like the schema is specified in the SOAP Response and not in the
WSDL itself. Here's the UI

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Russell, Rich, Tom, Team,

Need Help!!! Am having problems using WSDL2Java with the following WSDL's:
- http://www.dotnetjunkies.net/services/ContentServices.asmx?WSDL
- http://www.dotnetjunkies.net/services/TrivialFunTools.asmx?WSDL

Looks like the schema is specified in the SOAP Response and not in the WSDL itself. Here's the UI

=====