Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org> on 2018/08/05 07:56:45 UTC

Re: GitHub PR ticket spam

> I find this a bit annoying while subscribed to commits@,
> especially since we created pr@ for these kind of messages. Also I don't
> really see any value in mirroring all github comments to the ticket.

I agree with you Stefan. It makes the jira tickets quite painful to read. And I tend to make comments on the commits rather than the PRs so to avoid spamming back to the jira ticket.

But the linking to the PR is invaluable. And I can see Ariel's point about a chronological historical archive.

> Ponies would be for this to be mirrored to a tab
> separate from comments in JIRA.

Ariel, that would be the the "worklog" option.
https://reference.apache.org/pmc/github

If this works for you, and others, I can open a INFRA to switch to worklog.
wdyt?

Mick.

Re: GitHub PR ticket spam

Posted by Jonathan Haddad <jo...@jonhaddad.com>.
+1 to worklog

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 9:44 AM Ariel Weisberg <ar...@weisberg.ws> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Great idea. +1 to moving it to the work log.
>
> Thanks,
> Ariel
>
> On Mon, Aug 6, 2018, at 12:40 PM, Aleksey Yeshchenko wrote:
> > Nice indeed. I assume it also doesn’t spam commits@ when done this way,
> > in which case double +1 from me.
> >
> > —
> > AY
> >
> > On 6 August 2018 at 17:18:36, Jeremiah D Jordan
> > (jeremiah.jordan@gmail.com) wrote:
> >
> > Oh nice. I like the idea of keeping it but moving it to the worklog tab.
> > +1 on that from me.
> >
> > > On Aug 6, 2018, at 5:34 AM, Stefan Podkowinski <sp...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > +1 for worklog option
> > >
> > > Here's an example ticket from Arrow, where they seem to be using the
> > > same approach:
> > >
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__issues.apache.org_jira_browse_ARROW-2D2583&d=DwICaQ&c=adz96Xi0w1RHqtPMowiL2g&r=CNZK3RiJDLqhsZDG6FQGnXn8WyPRCQhp4x_uBICNC0g&m=wYZwHSze6YITTXgzOrEvfr_onojahtjeJRzGAt8ByzM&s=KWt0xsOv9ESaieg432edGvPhktGkWHxVuLAdNyORiYY&e=
> <
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__issues.apache.org_jira_browse_ARROW-2D2583&d=DwICaQ&c=adz96Xi0w1RHqtPMowiL2g&r=CNZK3RiJDLqhsZDG6FQGnXn8WyPRCQhp4x_uBICNC0g&m=wYZwHSze6YITTXgzOrEvfr_onojahtjeJRzGAt8ByzM&s=KWt0xsOv9ESaieg432edGvPhktGkWHxVuLAdNyORiYY&e=>

> don't
> ticket.

> read. And I tend to make comments on the commits rather than the PRs so to
> avoid spamming back to the jira ticket.

> about a chronological historical archive.

> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__reference.apache.org_pmc_github&d=DwICaQ&c=adz96Xi0w1RHqtPMowiL2g&r=CNZK3RiJDLqhsZDG6FQGnXn8WyPRCQhp4x_uBICNC0g&m=wYZwHSze6YITTXgzOrEvfr_onojahtjeJRzGAt8ByzM&s=1lWQawAO9fITzakpnmdzERuCbZs6IGQsUH_EEIMCMqs&e=
> <
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__reference.apache.org_pmc_github&d=DwICaQ&c=adz96Xi0w1RHqtPMowiL2g&r=CNZK3RiJDLqhsZDG6FQGnXn8WyPRCQhp4x_uBICNC0g&m=wYZwHSze6YITTXgzOrEvfr_onojahtjeJRzGAt8ByzM&s=1lWQawAO9fITzakpnmdzERuCbZs6IGQsUH_EEIMCMqs&e=>

> worklog.

Jon Haddad
http://www.rustyrazorblade.com
twitter: rustyrazorblade

Re: GitHub PR ticket spam

Posted by "dinesh.joshi@yahoo.com.INVALID" <di...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Nice! Thanks for getting this done.
Dinesh

    On Wednesday, August 8, 2018, 2:21:22 PM PDT, Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org> wrote:

> > Great idea. +1 to moving it to the work log.

This is working now.

See eg https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-12926
 (which I hijacked for testing and the comments in the PR have since been deleted)

cheers,
mick

Re: GitHub PR ticket spam

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

Re: GitHub PR ticket spam

Posted by Jordan West <jo...@gmail.com>.
+1 (nb) for the worklog approach.

Jordan

Re: GitHub PR ticket spam

Posted by "dinesh.joshi@yahoo.com.INVALID" <di...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Re: GitHub PR ticket spam

Posted by Mick Semb Wever <mc...@apache.org>.

Re: GitHub PR ticket spam

Posted by Ariel Weisberg <ar...@weisberg.ws>.
Hi,

Re: GitHub PR ticket spam

Posted by Aleksey Yeshchenko <al...@apple.com>.

Re: GitHub PR ticket spam

Posted by kurt greaves <ku...@instaclustr.com>.
+1

> Or perhaps we should require committers to summarise in the comments.  For
> most tickets, perhaps just stating ’nits from GitHub comments’.  But for
> any complex tickets, summarising the conclusions of any unexpected logical
> or structural discussion would be really helpful for posterity.  This has
> always been true, but especially so now, given how hard the replicated
> comments are to parse.

Yeah this. I think design discussion should continue to at least be
summarised in the comments. The worklog is still going to be painful to
parse, so should really only be used for the minor details and a record
IMO. I don't think we need to make this a hard requirement though, people
already do this so as long as we keep doing it setting the example should
be good enough.

Re: GitHub PR ticket spam

Posted by Benedict Elliott Smith <be...@apache.org>.
Also +1

Re: GitHub PR ticket spam

Posted by Jeremiah D Jordan <je...@gmail.com>.

Re: GitHub PR ticket spam

Posted by Stefan Podkowinski <sp...@apache.org>.
+1 for worklog option

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARROW-2583

Re: GitHub PR ticket spam

Posted by Nate McCall <zz...@gmail.com>.
I'd be fine with putting this traffic through as 'worklog' - good call, Mick!