Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Steve Folly <st...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2005/11/29 23:11:26 UTC

Tags for single files

Hi,

In our current CVS repository we have many 3rd-party files and
documents. We have found it useful to be able to tag individual
documents with, for example, 'ISSUE-1', 'ISSUE-2', etc. as the
document gets issued to us. Actually, this also applies to our own
documents as well, but in this case there may be many different
revisions committed to the repository between tagging with ISSUE-n tags.

I'm finding it difficult to relate the concept of tagging in
Subversion to the usage that I've applied here.  Does it really make
sense to copy 1 file to it's own 'tags' folder?

I considered using an 'issue' property, but then I realised that is
persistent throughout different revisions. I want the tag to apply to
just one revision.

I can't decide what's better - copying a single file to the tags
folder or using an 'issue' property?

Thanks for any help.

--
Steve.