Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by "sj.climber" <sj...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/28 01:59:47 UTC

Building SSTables with SSTableSimpleUnsortedWriter

Can anyone comment on best practices for setting the buffer size used by
SSTableSimpleUnsortedWriter?  I'm presently using 100MB, but for some of the
larger column families I'm working with, this can result in hundreds of
SSTables.  After streaming to Cassandra via sstableloader, there's a fair
amount of compaction work to do.

What are the benefits and consequences of going with a higher buffer size?

Thanks!

Re: Building SSTables with SSTableSimpleUnsortedWriter

Posted by Benoit Perroud <be...@noisette.ch>.
big buffer size will use more Heap memory at creation of the tables.
Not sure impact on server side, but shouldn't be a big difference. I
personally use 512Mb.

2012/4/28 sj.climber <sj...@gmail.com>:
> Can anyone comment on best practices for setting the buffer size used by
> SSTableSimpleUnsortedWriter?  I'm presently using 100MB, but for some of the
> larger column families I'm working with, this can result in hundreds of
> SSTables.  After streaming to Cassandra via sstableloader, there's a fair
> amount of compaction work to do.
>
> What are the benefits and consequences of going with a higher buffer size?
>
> Thanks!

sent from my Nokia 3210