Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by sjunejo <sj...@temenos.com> on 2009/08/14 12:51:35 UTC

How To Use ThreadGroup Name As A Variable In Test

Hi,

I have developed a test script which has 10 Thread Group each representing
10 users of my system. I named each of my ThreadGroup same as the UserName
exist in my Application as follows;

DEMOTEST1
DEMOTEST2
DEMOTEST3
DEMOTEST4
.
.
DEMOTEST10

Note: Each above name is user in my application.

Is there anyway I can use these Names with in the same threadgroup or Assign
it to a Local variable. I just want it to save some time otherwise I have to
change 20 times in each thread for each user???

Thanks in advance

Re: How To Use ThreadGroup Name As A Variable In Test

Posted by sjunejo <sj...@temenos.com>.
Hi Andrey,

First of all thanks for your reply and appriciate your advice.

Note:  I forget to mention that this topic is all about improving my
existing jMeter script or about learning a technique so I can create my
future scripts more effeciently rather than editing user1 to user2 and user2
to user3 in each thread group :-).

My scenario is like, I have to replay seven servlets each in 10 thread
(Total 70). What I did was, I developed [DEMOTEST1] threadgroup
successfully. Now other nine will be just copy paste of it but with
different TransactionID and some more editing. All of servlet contain user
name atleast twice and as I was already giving each threadgroup a same name
as my user to login my application I thought of using the ThreadGroup name
(SOMEHOW), So when I copy and paste DEMOTEST1 threadgroup and change name
from DEMOTEST1 to DEMOTEST2 I dont have to change anywhere in my seven
servlet. Infact thats what I am concern about.

To solve my pronblem I just declare a variable in threadgroup called
USER=DEMOTEST and then in each
threadgroup just called it as ${USER}1, ${USER}2......and so on at each
instance. As I have to edit all my servlets one by one anyway why should I
decalre 10 variable rather than just one and append the number in front.

On the other hand If I choose to implement your suggestion its more or less
same. I still have to edit :-).

If someone find a way to fetch ThreadGroup name please add your solution
here.

Thanks & Regards :)

Posted by Andrey Simonov <au...@bk.ru>.
Hi sjunejo,