Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Denis Stepanov <de...@gmail.com> on 2012/08/22 17:52:52 UTC

Page instance reloading when request in progress

I have just discovered that page instance could not be reloaded when there is a request in progress. It could be simply reproduced by using ProgressiveDisplay and Thread.sleep inside the onProgressiveDisplay event. During the event request the page could not be modified by changing its template, it will always return a previous version without modifications.

I'm just wondering if it's by design or it could be a bug. Can one request effect framework functionality? I'm using 5.3.4.

Denis

Re: Page instance reloading when request in progress

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 8:52 AM, Denis Stepanov
<de...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have just discovered that page instance could not be reloaded when there is a request in progress. It could be simply reproduced by using ProgressiveDisplay and Thread.sleep inside the onProgressiveDisplay event. During the event request the page could not be modified by changing its template, it will always return a previous version without modifications.
>
> I'm just wondering if it's by design or it could be a bug. Can one request effect framework functionality? I'm using 5.3.4.

It's by design. Reloading logic only exists in development mode, not
production mode.  Further, when Tapestry kicks off the process of
seeing if anything file (.class, .tml, etc.) has changed, it grabs a
global lock; a single thread will do all the work, while all others
are locked out until it completes.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over this.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship