Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Thorsten Schacht <th...@tcelectronic.com> on 2005/11/28 08:32:43 UTC

Apache or svnserve?

Hi,

I'm trying to find out what authorization method is the best for me. I
cant find out much about pro's and con's so I ask you experienced users
: )

Needed is a Subversion for 15 developers in a company. Only internal
use. No web interface / statistics etc. needed.

Currently we use CVS with ssh so I'm more at the svnserve side and think
Apache is too much for my needs.

And how exactly works the Auth through Apache?

Please share your experience with me.

Cheers,
Thorsten

Re: Apache or svnserve?

Posted by Phil <pl...@gmail.com>.
Just follow the basic install instructions for subversion. Install from
source and use the Apache source too... all in the install file in the
subversion download.

It explains it all from start to finish.

I knew nothing about Subversion and was able to follow the instructions
without a problem. You get subversion, apache and you can decide later to
implement Apache auth if you want... it's easy...

Again read the install doc and then read it again, then try it on a test
system... then read the install doc again...

Phil

Re: Apache or svnserve?

Posted by Duncan Murdoch <su...@murdoch-sutherland.com>.
On 11/28/2005 12:28 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Nov 28, 2005, at 17:12, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>
>> To use svnserve, users need shell accounts on the machine.  That
>> may be a concern if the machine belongs to one organization and the
>> developers don't, but probably not in your case.  (It's probably
>> not strictly true, but you need to really know what you're doing to
>> set up access to svnserve without giving a shell account.)
>
> Hmm... I don't think that's the case. It is for the svn+ssh protocol,
> where authentication takes place at the ssh layer and each connection
> gets its own instance of svnserve, but not for the svn protocol,
> where there is one central svnserve running as a particular system
> user and usernames and passwords are authenticated against a
> plaintext file.
>
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch06s03.html

Yes, thanks for the correction.

Duncan Murdoch

Re: Apache or svnserve?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Re: Apache or svnserve?

Posted by Duncan Murdoch <su...@murdoch-sutherland.com>.
On 11/28/2005 3:32 AM, Thorsten Schacht wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to find out what authorization method is the best for me. I
> cant find out much about pro's and con's so I ask you experienced users
> : )
>
> Needed is a Subversion for 15 developers in a company. Only internal
> use. No web interface / statistics etc. needed.
>
> Currently we use CVS with ssh so I'm more at the svnserve side and think
> Apache is too much for my needs.
>
> And how exactly works the Auth through Apache?
>
> Please share your experience with me.

I don't think this will be an issue for you, but may be for some other
people reading the thread:

Re: Apache or svnserve?

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.
Thorsten Schacht wrote:

> I'm trying to find out what authorization method is the best for me. I
> cant find out much about pro's and con's so I ask you experienced users
> : )
>
> Needed is a Subversion for 15 developers in a company. Only internal
> use. No web interface / statistics etc. needed.

Trouble is you may not need a web interface now, but you might change
your mind later. I would recommend going straight to the Apache config
from the start, it saves a lot of headaches down the line.

> Currently we use CVS with ssh so I'm more at the svnserve side and think
> Apache is too much for my needs.
>
> And how exactly works the Auth through Apache?

Full details can be found at http://httpd.apache.org, follow the docs
for v2.0.

Regards,
Graham

Re: Apache or svnserve?

Posted by Paul Koning <pk...@equallogic.com>.

 Thorsten> Hi, I'm trying to find out what authorization method is the
 Thorsten> best for me. I cant find out much about pro's and con's so
 Thorsten> I ask you experienced users : )

 Thorsten> Needed is a Subversion for 15 developers in a company. Only
 Thorsten> internal use. No web interface / statistics etc. needed.

I picked svnserve primarily because it's significantly faster --
everything takes about 50% longer with http.

That doesn't prevent using a web interface -- I have Insurrection
running as well on the same repository.  But the svn access is via
svnserve.

	  paul

RE: Apache or svnserve?

Posted by Çağatay Çatal <ca...@bte.mam.gov.tr>.
If you want to use "authorization per directory",
you should use Apache.

This was a requirement in my project and then, I used Apache.

I hope this helps you,

Cheers,
Cagatay