Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jyri Korhonen <Jy...@planmeca.com> on 2005/11/21 20:44:41 UTC

SA 3.1.0 and GroupWise 6.5

Hello,

I'm trying to test SA with Novell GroupWise 6.5,
but I'm not using anything in front of GroupWise
or behind GroupWise. I'm checking the emails
"in between" - that's after SMTP daemon and
before GroupWise MTA. We are running GroupWise
on a Netware server so I need a workstation to
do the job and I have installed a Windows XP
machine for this purpose.

The first problem I had was the infamous LF vs.
LF/CR problem, but I found the patch. The second
problem is harder because I haven't succeeded in
finding any clues what to do.

At first I tested SA with GroupWise's Mime.822
files (messages already delivered to mailboxes).
That went fine probably because the structure of
the header in a Mime.822 file is more common,
like this:

Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 16:11:33 +0100
From: "Brent Collier" <Ni...@menulink.net>
To: <jy...@planmeca.com>
Subject: Peerless prestige

But then I tried to use live data and found out
that SA doesn't like at all the internal GroupWise
header format (this is the same message as above
using the internal header format):

MAIL FROM:<Ni...@menulink.net> SIZE=1741 BODY=8BITMIME
RCPT TO:<jy...@planmeca.com> ORCPT=rfc822;jyri.korhonen@planmeca.com
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 16:11:33 +0100
From: "Brent Collier" <Ni...@menulink.net>
To: <jy...@planmeca.com>

If I run SA to a message with the internal GroupWise
headers I'll get something like the example below.
Could somebody give me a hint what I shoud do to
make SA understand GroupWise headers?

Best regards

Jyri Korhonen
Planmeca Oy

---
From: =?windows-1251?B?Z2xhZHlzQGRlbGl2ZXJ5bWFuLmNvbQ==?= <ga...@alumnidirector.com>
To: info@planmeca.ru
Subject: =?windows-1251?B?0e7n5ODt6OUg6CDv8O7k4ujm5e3o5SDx4Ony7uI=?=
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 19:08:33 +0000

Re: SA 3.1.0 and GroupWise 6.5

Re: SA 3.1.0 and GroupWise 6.5

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 09:44:41PM +0200, Jyri Korhonen wrote:
> But then I tried to use live data and found out
> that SA doesn't like at all the internal GroupWise
> header format (this is the same message as above
> using the internal header format):
>
> MAIL FROM:<Ni...@menulink.net> SIZE=1741 BODY=8BITMIME
> RCPT TO:<jy...@planmeca.com> ORCPT=rfc822;jyri.korhonen@planmeca.com
> 	by mailcenter.plandent.com; Mon, 21 Nov 2005 17:13:50 +0200
[...]
> If I run SA to a message with the internal GroupWise
> headers I'll get something like the example below.
> Could somebody give me a hint what I shoud do to
> make SA understand GroupWise headers?

This is the job for the software in between GroupWise and SpamAssassin.
SA knows how to parse email messages, it doesn't understand "internal"
message formats such as these.  In this case, GW seems to keep the
(E)SMTP from/to lines, which are not included in the email DATA section
where SA does its work.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"This is the kind of castle King Arthur would have lived in... if he were a

Re: SA 3.1.0 and GroupWise 6.5

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
Jyri Korhonen wrote:
> If I run SA to a message with the internal GroupWise
> headers I'll get something like the example below.
> Could somebody give me a hint what I shoud do to
> make SA understand GroupWise headers?

Extensive code-rewrite (preferably of GroupWise, but alternatively of SA).

Realistically, you're not going to be able to make SA understand a non-standard
header format without a great deal of pain and suffering. Try to find another way.

Most groupwise folks I've seen use Guinevere, but this is not free. (Nor is
groupwise, for that matter)