Posted to modproxy-dev@apache.org by "Eric J. Hansen" <eh...@worldmachine.com> on 2004/11/15 22:23:35 UTC

Apache not invoking mod_proxy when there's an encoded '/' (%2F) in the path

(sending this for the 2nd time -- first didn't show up, apologies if you receive it twice)

Hi folks,

I've set up mod_proxy as a reverse proxy and am encountering a problem.
When I browse the proxied site, most pages load fine, but if there's an
encoded '/' (%2F) in the URL's path, it causes Apache to generate an
internal 404 and not even pass the request to the mod_proxy.

Here's an example of a problem URL (note: this isn't the actual hostname):

http://www.mysite.com/Product/1917--HON+Comfortask%2f%c2%ae+Task+Swivel+Stool--s

Note the "%2f" after the term "Comfortask", which is causing Apache to
not make this a proxy request. Unfortunately the site I'm working on
is built with an e-commerce system that puts all information in the path
rather than proper URL parameters!

FYI I've got my proxy server configured as follows:

<VirtualHost X.X.X.X:80>
       ServerName www.mysite.com
       ProxyRequests Off
       ProxyPass                               / http://Y.Y.Y.Y:80/
       ProxyPassReverse                        / http://Y.Y.Y.Y:80/
       ProxyPassReverse                        / http://Y.Y.Y.Y/
       ProxyTimeout                            120
       ProxyPreserveHost On
</VirtualHost>

(X.X.X.X is the proxy server IP, and Y.Y.Y.Y is the upstream web server.)

Any ideas why Apache is getting confused by the %2F?  Workarounds?

thanks,
Eric