Posted to dev@tika.apache.org by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/30 00:51:06 UTC

TIKA-1423 Build a parser to extract data from GRIB formats not good with Java 6

Hi Folks,
Having committed TIKA-1423 it has become apparent to me that the libraries
being pulled as dependencies are not compatible with JDK 1.6 as indicated
with our Jenkins 1.6 build.

Do we want to move towards dropping support for Java 1.6? Oracle made an
announcement some time ago so this is not exactly new news

https://blogs.oracle.com/henrik/entry/java_6_eol_h_h

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal de.thetaphi:forbiddenapis:1.7:check
(default) on project tika-parsers: Check for forbidden API calls
failed: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: Class
'java.lang.AutoCloseable' not found on classpath -> [Help 1][ERROR]
[ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven with
the -e switch.[ERROR] Re-run Maven using the -X switch to enable full
debug logging.[ERROR] [ERROR] For more information about the errors
and possible solutions, please read the following articles:[ERROR]
[Help 1] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/MojoFailureException[ERROR]
[ERROR] After correcting the problems, you can resume the build with
the command[ERROR]   mvn <goals> -rf :tika-parsers

--
*Lewis*

Re: TIKA-1423 Build a parser to extract data from GRIB formats not good with Java 6

Posted by Konstantin Gribov <gr...@gmail.com>.
We can try to isolate module which depends on 1.7. Something like creating
tika-parsers-ext which needs 1.7 when all other *library* will use 1.6.
Non-library tika parts (like tika-app, tika-server) can easyly use 1.7 to
run, it doesn't affect 3rd user group (by Nick's classification).

Also, if only check/build tools (like forbiddenapis) need 1.7 then we
should try to resolve issue there.

OTOH such breaking change can be done in major release (on switching to
2.0) since it can break something anyway.

--
Best regards,
Konstantin Gribov

Posted by Nick Burch <ap...@gagravarr.org>.