Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Betty Li <li...@yahoo.com> on 2006/05/22 23:26:55 UTC

store only the most recent revision(s) of a document in SVN

Hi,

We have some MS Word/Excel documents that we want them to be shared by
a few people. These few people should have read/modify access to the
documents but they should not step on each other's toes. So we need a
"lock-modify-unlock" tool for these documents but we really don't need to
store all the revisions of the documents (maybe only the last revision
or last three revisions need to be stored). Can I use Subversion to
acheive this goal? Is there a way in Subversion to specify that only the
last three revisions are stored and all previous revisions should be
deleted?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Betty

Re: store only the most recent revision(s) of a document in SVN

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.
> We have some MS Word/Excel documents that we want them to be shared by
> a few people. These few people should have read/modify access to the
> documents but they should not step on each other's toes. So we need a
> "lock-modify-unlock" tool for these documents but we really don't need to
> store all the revisions of the documents (maybe only the last revision
> or last three revisions need to be stored). Can I use Subversion to
> acheive this goal? Is there a way in Subversion to specify that only the
> last three revisions are stored and all previous revisions should be
> deleted?

  No, there is currently no way to have subversion do that, and adding
  such functionality would be complex.

This should be feasible with plain WebDAV over HTTPS, which supports
file-locking. Look into it.

Re: store only the most recent revision(s) of a document in SVN

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 5/22/06, Betty Li <li...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have some MS Word/Excel documents that we want them to be shared by
> a few people. These few people should have read/modify access to the
> documents but they should not step on each other's toes. So we need a
> "lock-modify-unlock" tool for these documents but we really don't need to
> store all the revisions of the documents (maybe only the last revision
> or last three revisions need to be stored). Can I use Subversion to
> acheive this goal? Is there a way in Subversion to specify that only the
> last three revisions are stored and all previous revisions should be
> deleted?

No, there is currently no way to have subversion do that, and adding
such functionality would be complex.

-garrett